Use of an Octo as a secondary and best Apeks first stages for twinset?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're going to swap back and forth between singles and doubles, DS4 or DST are excellent first stage options. I have a dedicated doubles reg set and use the Tek3 first stages. They breathe great (like the DS4/T) and the clean hose routing is just a nice bonus.

I did something almost exactly like that years ago to break in to tech. Eventually I found constantly reconfiguring to go recreational diving a hassle so I run a tech rig and a rec rig. Your going probably need a deco reg too, keep that mind when juggling but it doesn't have to be expensive
Well I am hoping to fully assemble a twin rig. Not neccessarily making single cylinder diving a priority at the moment.

As for deco regs, do they specifically need to be those Nitrox ready ones with all the green or can I settle for something simpler?

I think what I will do is buy another FSR and have the 5th port enabled on the both of them which will make routing very smooth. And then at some point I'll just get a DS4 for single cylinder diving

That's it keep pandoras box shut and make your own decisions

especially about routing

As for deco regs, do they specifically need to be those Nitrox ready ones with all the green or can I settle for something simpler?

Color doesn't matter, would depend how rich the mix was. These are great questions to ask an instructor. Perhaps you would already own something comparable for light mixes. Or, you need to purchase something for rich mixes. You need to find out what you will be diving and where and for what length of time to really answer some of these questions.

I think what I will do is buy another FSR and have the 5th port enabled on the both of them which will make routing very smooth. And then at some point I'll just get a DS4 for single cylinder diving

You don’t need special green regs for nitrox. Whether you even need them for O2 is debatable. Nearly all regs come O2 clean when new now. If you find anyone currently servicing regs that’s NOT using O2 compatible lube, you should run away!

This link should help with reg set up and hose routing. *but be aware that doubles hose routing gets much easier with regs that have a 5th port. ..the attached should match what you have now.

https://frogkickdiving.com/regulators-|-hose-routing#2c2c5349-daa4-4a80-9e0b-4cfacbfa0196

You don’t need special green regs for nitrox. Whether you even need them for O2 is debatable. Nearly all regs come O2 clean when new now. If you find anyone currently servicing regs that’s NOT using O2 compatible lube, you should run away!

This link should help with reg set up and hose routing. *but be aware that doubles hose routing gets much easier with regs that have a 5th port. ..the attached should match what you have now.

https://frogkickdiving.com/regulators-|-hose-routing#2c2c5349-daa4-4a80-9e0b-4cfacbfa0196

They need to be O2 clean. I've had two friends that were around regs that caught fire. Most recent was last year.

the xtx50 octo has a shorter exhaust tee.

t's are changeable as an fyi

for those curious about an easy way to go between singles and doubles.

If you have a 5 port turret regulator, set them up like this for singles. If you are OK with inflator coming off of the left post in doubles, which I am, then the only thing that moves is the long hose. One port plug, one hose, done. Takes 30 seconds.
26116151_10159743032645134_5404795579235818030_o.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom