Use of hands when diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since this the Advanced Forum, I assume we are NOT talking about new divers, learning that the hands are not all that efficient compared to your fins and your SAC will suffer.

I find it amusing, this whole hands while scuba diving thing. I use what ever tools I need, including my hands to make the dive fun. Sometimes a flick* of a hand will make all the difference between getting the shot or not, getting a better view, keeping you away from whatever or just because you choose too.

Most of my dives look like this, me with my video camera in one hand and her hand in my other:

mari_Dave.jpg

I love holding my lovely brides hand. Sure, I use more gas but that's what HER octo is for :wink:

*flick - a slight or small rapid movement. I'm not talking about flailing about, grabbing everything in sight or Michael Phlepsing my way about.

Guys the reason I put this thread in the advanced section is that I thought you would all draw the conclusion I was talking about an experienced diver not a novice.
I 100% understand the rationale that a novice diver needs to develop the different finning skills,Boyancy control etc the propper way.
Heck I just feel that you have to question so that its not a case of --because thats the way its always been done

As a dive guide,you learn to dive and hold hands at a very early stage.
Can be for security or safety.

"living life without hard bottom"
KT

My hands are just busy doing other things:
- carrying trash
- holding lights
- playing with crabs
- making sexy-time gestures at nudibranchs in compromising positions
- etc

I NMOF because MOFfing is more effort.

Guys the reason I put this thread in the advanced section is that I thought you would all draw the conclusion I was talking about an experienced diver not a novice.
I 100% understand the rationale that a novice diver needs to develop the different finning skills,Boyancy control etc the propper way.
Heck I just feel that you have to question so that its not a case of --because thats the way its always been done

Well, I do think the question was adequately answered ... but you asked specifically about the use of hands for "finning", and for "changing directions". Somehow that got morphed into pull and glide, holding hands with your dive buddy, a random comment about an "absolute prohibition" ... whatever that means ... and a reference to "scuba dressage".

All that we need now is an invocation of Godwin's Law and the thread will have completed the usual spiral that threads like this almost always do.

"Finning" and "changing direction" can be accomplished using your hands if you really want to ... but there are more efficient ways under most circumstances for typical recreational diving. The main reason to use those other ways is because you'll work less hard, and therefore use your available air less quickly.

I think most recreational divers would find those to be desireable reasons ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

On the other hand, learning how to backkick can burn through an unbelievable amount of gas.

To me, the ego part is a big reason. Being able to turn on a dime, hover a couple of inches over the bottom and swim over a ridge while just using my breathing to clear it, all with my arms locked, is pretty darn awesome.

I like not looking like a rookie when I dive. As a matter of fact, when diving in a group, I estimate the amount of experience of my fellow divers by how much they use their hands during the dive.

But more seriously, I like to keep my hands free for working my equipment. Also, I find not using my hands incredibly relaxing.

You'll die if.... you use your hands lol

:rofl3:

That's probably why many of us are still alive today.

As for the rest........"Dead man walking!":wink:

One day, when the bodies of divers wash up on the beach people will think it's the start of the apocolypse.

The rest of us will know the truth........hand scullers. haha.

-Mitch

Hey guys something that puzzles me a bit is the fixation on never using your hands for "finning'.
Other than for pure ego reasons why wouldn't an experienced diver (someone who could and does have good fin control) use their hands for discrete direction changes or where the hands are free but the fins might cause silting ?

Also there does seem to be a strong encouragement to dive with your arms crossed rather than hanging back alogside your waist. Perhaps Im just dense but to me that seems contrary to the whole point of trying to be as hydrodynamic (gosh is that a word?) as possible.

I've got like 70 dives and I can make micro-adjustments with breath control. Lots of people have a lot more experience than I do and can just do it without using their arms.

I don't see a reason to use my arms at all other than holding equipment, or maybe holding hands with an insta-buddy.

What? Is that wrong?

Back
Top Bottom