Used AL80's from LDS...cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If weight of tank is important because of the need to carry on land, here are some comparisons of empty weights (in pounds) without valves.

Luxfer AL80: 31.38
Faber LP 80: 30
Faber HP 80: 32.5
OMS LP85: 31
Faber HP100: 38.7
Faber LP95: 37.2

the faber fx100 is only 34.3 pounds. 38.7 is for the midpressure 3180 psi 100.

If weight of tank is important because of the need to carry on land, here are some comparisons of empty weights (in pounds) without valves.

What you need to also factor in is the change in the amount of lead for the tank for the actual carry weight. Your Luxfer example needs 4.4# more lead bringing the total to 35.78, the Faber LP80 drops 1.7# from your belt bringing the total to 28.3#. The actual difference to carry to the water is 6.48# lighter for the steel. The AL and LP95 are within a few tenths empty, but you get to bring more air with the 95, and besides its the walk back that kills ya.

Bob

WEIGHT OF TANKS (in pounds) EMPTY FULL
Luxfer AL80 32.6 40
Worthington ST100 37.2 44.8
Catalina AL80 33.8
Catalina AL100 48.2

I had to add Worthington and Catalina. I haven't had a chance to weight the Catalina's while full.

WEIGHT OF TANKS (in pounds) EMPTY FULL
Luxfer AL80 32.6 40
Worthington ST100 37.2 44.8
Catalina AL80 33.8
Catalina AL100 48.2

I had to add Worthington and Catalina. I haven't had a chance to weight the Catalina's while full.
I took my numbers from this chart. I probably should have saved myself a lot of work and just put in the link.

The chart does not include Worthington steel tanks because they are no longer made. All my steel tanks are Worthington. You might as well strap an anvil on your back.

I took my numbers from this chart. I probably should have saved myself a lot of work and just put in the link.

The chart does not include Worthington steel tanks because they are no longer made. All my steel tanks are Worthington. You might as well strap an anvil on your back.

Like you, all of my HP steels are Worthington. I really like them. My LPs are Fabre. I got my numbers by weighing the tanks myself; partly from curiosity, boredom, and wondering how accurate the charts are. The Worthingtons are not as heavy as Asahi. They feel like an anvil.

The Worthingtons are not as heavy as Asahi. They feel like an anvil.

No kidding. They can be great as single tanks, but I had to sell my Asahi HP 100s. As a set of doubles, they almost weren't diveable.

Back
Top Bottom