Used drysuit? Install pee valve after purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking to buy used drysuits (because of the price of new ones) and I was wondering if it is possible to install an easy access pee valve after purchase. I just want a zipper opening, not something that connects to the anatomy. I guess I would also then want something like this in the undergarment as well. Any ideas about this, or about buying a used drysuit are appreciated.

They have a pool and a way to inflate the drysuit for testing prior to purchase.

Thanks,

Bill

Installing a relief zipper would be expensive. Zippers fail (leak) and wear out, plus they are expensive and take skill to install. Not a DIY for most. The zipper is the biggest weak link in a D/S, why would you want to add another one?

A standard P valve can be installed DIY. They are simple and not prone to failure. Once you admit you can touch yourself for hook up, the ability to pee while diving is very freeing. Just being able to properly hydrate yourself is a big plus if you start doing long / multiple dives.

I bought my dry suit from a friend in Gilroy. He sells all types of drysuits, often with the undergarment included for about $400.00. I've been using mine for about two years and love it. Here is his contact information;
Alan Hirasawa <alanhirasawa@gmail.com> 408-722-7669.
I agree about the pee valve; just go just before diving; installing one is too expensive.

Installing a relief zipper would be expensive. Zippers fail (leak) and wear out, plus they are expensive and take skill to install. Not a DIY for most. The zipper is the biggest weak link in a D/S, why would you want to add another one?

A standard P valve can be installed DIY. They are simple and not prone to failure. Once you admit you can touch yourself for hook up, the ability to pee while diving is very freeing. Just being able to properly hydrate yourself is a big plus if you start doing long / multiple dives.

Sounds good. I didn't know any of that.

---------- Post added February 17th, 2013 at 12:53 PM ----------

---------- Post added February 17th, 2013 at 12:55 PM ----------

I agree about the pee valve; just go just before diving; installing one is too expensive.

Are you speaking of a pee valve connected to the anatomy? Or a relief zipper? Are you agreeing or disagreeing with GrumpyOldGuy?

Alan's is where we are headed.

- Bill

Bill4sf,

I'll echo the suggestion to go with a pee valve over a relief zipper. Being able to hydrate at will and void at your pleasure is a huge benefit in many ways.

A relief zipper only lets you do something with discretion topside. It's also costly and adds a huge failure component in a vulnerable location.

You also mentioned "we" and "suits" suggesting a significant other. A pee valve and shepee will for for a gal where a relief zipper is even more difficult to use.

Pete

FWIW I do not always use my pee-valve. Since my dive partner is not expected to use a She-Pee, we plan our dives to include a bathroom break ahead of time, and after the dive.

FWIW: adding a relief zipper when I bought my Viking was $35 well spent. No idea what the charge would be for a retrofit, though.

FYI At DUI, the cost to install a relief zipper on a existing suit is $268. The makes it a non-starter for most folks purchasing a used D/S.

The need to for a P valve is proportional to your age and length of dives. Ask yourself honestly, do you ever pee in your wetsuit. If you don't then skip the p-valve for know. If you do, then it makes sense. The other rout (Depends) is not something I really want to do.

Hmmmm...hope I didn't move the decimal point:shocked2:...still glad a got it...

Billt4sf...get anything yesterday?

FWIW I do not always use my pee-valve. Since my dive partner is not expected to use a She-Pee, we plan our dives to include a bathroom break ahead of time, and after the dive.

This is what we do now, and given the cost of a relief zipper it's not worth it. The little lady would never go for a She Pee either. I was interested in a relief zipper because it's such a hassle to pull the dry suit and undergarments down enough to pee. Do-able, but not comfortable.

We visited Alan (as suggested) yesterday but didn't find anything to fit either of us. Is there such a thing as a XL Long drysuit for under $1,000? (I am 6'6" but not terribly overweight.) I find that I have a fairly large amount of air zooming around my suit when I rotate. I have been renting a White's Fusion XXL. I am literally off the White's sizing chart because of my height!

- Bill

Back
Top Bottom