Used ScubaPro Regs and S600 Converting to Octo Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

napDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to scuba so basically, any information provided will help. I have two different questions:

1) I'm probably going to get a used MK 25 EVO / S600 for a really good deal. I'm thinking I should take it to the LDS and ask for them to take a look. Should I ask for the inspection (hopefully that's the right term) and how much should this cost? The owner said the regs been used twice in a pool and the first stage is sealed, so I'm less concerned unless they blatantly lied.

Is there anything I else I should be concerned with? I'm going to ask the LDS tomorrow what a typical annual maintenance costs. I thought about finding a class and doing the work myself as well. I'm sure it's pretty simple and I'm mechanically inclined.

2) Switching to FFM. So I wanted to use the S600 as my octo. I know it's overkill, but the price it actually makes more sense than to buy a 1st stage and octo seperately. Is their a good way to make it yellow or more apparent that it's my octo? I'm going to switch to a Yellow miflex house, get a yellow mouth bite piece, and add the color kit. But the majority of the body of the regular will still be black and yellow.

Anyways thanks for any comments!

1) ask to have it inspected / checked if it needs service. This should be free.

2) I’ve never seen the s600 come in yellow. just use a yellow hose.

To address some other points you mentioned -

A) The Mk25 EVO cannot be sealed. Are you sure you don’t have a Mk17? If you have a LP swivel turret, it’s not a Mk17.

B) service averages $50/stage (parts and labor)

C) you cannot take the ScubaPro regulator service course unless you work for a SP dealer.

Color covers are available for the S600 if you should want them: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Y50FD8/ref=twister_B06ZYC5FVZ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 . If you are using a full face mask, it should be obvious what your backup regulator is, so this is not likely necessary.

Doing your own maintenance is certainly possible, but Scubapro does not make the training or parts available to the public at large. A basic equipment maintenance course offered by a dive shop usually covers things like general cleaning and inspection, but will not teach you to overhaul a regulator. Newer Scubapro regs like the MK25 are fairly complex, with a number of fiddly small parts, as opposed to their much simpler older offerings which are more amenable to the DIY maintainer. Special tools are often required, some specific to a particular regulator model. The Mk25 is not the one I'd want to learn on. See the ScubaBoard DIY forum for tips and resources on how to proceed with maintaining your regs if you wish to do so.

Hey all,

I'm pretty new to scuba so basically, any information provided will help. I have two different questions:

1) I'm probably going to get a used MK 25 EVO / S600 for a really good deal. I'm thinking I should take it to the LDS and ask for them to take a look. Should I ask for the inspection (hopefully that's the right term) and how much should this cost? The owner said the regs been used twice in a pool and the first stage is sealed, so I'm less concerned unless they blatantly lied.

Is there anything I else I should be concerned with? I'm going to ask the LDS tomorrow what a typical annual maintenance costs. I thought about finding a class and doing the work myself as well. I'm sure it's pretty simple and I'm mechanically inclined.

2) Switching to FFM. So I wanted to use the S600 as my octo. I know it's overkill, but the price it actually makes more sense than to buy a 1st stage and octo seperately. Is their a good way to make it yellow or more apparent that it's my octo? I'm going to switch to a Yellow miflex house, get a yellow mouth bite piece, and add the color kit. But the majority of the body of the regular will still be black and yellow.

Anyways thanks for any comments!

Hi NapDiver,

Welcome to Scuba Board. I should not jump to conclusion, but from your handle I'm guessing you're in the Napa area. Contact good guy @rsingler who not only lives in your neck of the woods, but is also a ScubaPro guru. He's very active on ScubaBoard, can service your regulators if needed, and advise you on the ins and outs of DIY. In the meantime read Regulator Inspection and Checklist (Rev-8) and take @AFdivedoc 's advice and join us in the DIY forum.

Couv

You have good advice, I may have missed it but get an IP gauge and check it yourself.

May I ask why you are considering a FFM?

Thanks all of you for your advice & help. You guys are awesome! I'll look into each of those.

@guruboy
You are correct, the reg is definitely not sealed (MK 25 EVO).

@AFdivedoc @couv
I wanted the reg easily identified and found, more for other divers than anything else. It's a shame that the MK 25 EVO is so complex and needs special tools.

I will definitely join the DIY forum, sounds like my cup of tea! Appreciate the checklist and rec to reach out to @rsingler. I'm in San Francisco, so Napa is close enough :)

@lexvil
TBH I'm probably just making up excuses to get an FFM. I wanted one before I got OW cert. I saw the instructor using one and communicating with his buddy during one of the dives. Really wanted one then. After a few dives, sometimes it was hard to find my dive buddy and communicate with her at times. This is probably since we are both new and would get better over time. But I believe an FFM w/ comms would also help with this problem.

Thanks all of you for your advice & help. You guys are awesome! I'll look into each of those.

@guruboy
You are correct, the reg is definitely not sealed (MK 25 EVO).

@AFdivedoc @couv
I wanted the reg easily identified and found, more for other divers than anything else. It's a shame that the MK 25 EVO is so complex and needs special tools.

I will definitely join the DIY forum, sounds like my cup of tea! Appreciate the checklist and rec to reach out to @rsingler. I'm in San Francisco, so Napa is close enough :)

@lexvil
TBH I'm probably just making up excuses to get an FFM. I wanted one before I got OW cert. I saw the instructor using one and communicating with his buddy during one of the dives. Really wanted one then. After a few dives, sometimes it was hard to find my dive buddy and communicate with her at times. This is probably since we are both new and would get better over time. But I believe an FFM w/ comms would also help with this problem.
Everyone gets to dive their own way but you may want to dive w/o the ffm for a while, they have their use...

Just some advice from a grandfatherly old diver on full face masks:

I would definitely borrow or rent a full face mask and try it out for several dives first--these aren't for everyone. I have one equipped with comms I use for public safety diving. It is a nice piece of equipment, but I would not use it for recreational diving. They are pricey and need meticulous care. Your buddy has to have one as well. Parts and servicing are more expensive. Batteries need to be changed periodically for the comms unit. Clearing your ears with a FFM can be a little trickier. If you have a second stage failure on the FFM and have to switch to your S600 octo or your buddy's alternate air source, you now have no mask (unless you carry a spare and know how to don it underwater). None of these issues are insurmountable, but they can certainly be costly or complicate your circumstances underwater.

That being said, I did see people diving FFMs recently in Bonaire. I don't think they communicated any better than my buddy and I, but then again, we've been dive buddies for over 10 years.

I think at this point in your diving career, you should work on developing good buddy/communication skills. Brief your communication procedures and stay in close enough visual contact that losing your buddy is not an issue.

Good luck and have fun diving!

@lexliv @AFdivedoc

Thanks for the advice, it helped me plan out what to do. For those who scan the forums, maybe this is helpful for those who are looking to get into FFM. I do like my FFM and will keep it.

Buy from a store/online which allows a generous return policy (75% credit back for used equipment before 60 days).

Spent 3 pool sessions adjusting, getting comfortable, and practicing drills with FFM. I practiced going to my octo and grabbing my spare mask in the pool until it was second nature. Also took a PADI course.

If the surf looks bad, I'll attach my snorkel to my BCD as well.

The comms is actually a lot harder to use than I thought. It only helps for very simple things and increases air consumption when you speak. I'll use it but it doesn't solve any problems tbh.

Since I'm a novice diver, I try to alternate between my FFM and without it from dive to dive.

In terms of care, you do have to be more careful with it. Maintenance for the ocean reef, I believe is 50-100 bucks a year or every 100 dives. I plan on cutting some thin closed cell foam and stuffing it in the mesh mask bag it came in so I don't have worry about babying it as much. However, the mask is bulletproof and I was told if the mask got scratched as soon as you went underwater you could not see the scratches.

I actually like it cause I have issues with fog every 3 dives. FFM won't fog. Also w/o ffm my mouth gets dry after my first dive and its hard to swallow which is the only thing that really helps me equalize. This makes equalizing for me much easier. Lastly, the bigger peripheral vision is helpful since the ocean reef has a big clear window.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom