Useful Items for Certifi-vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pf778c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone have any "hindsight is 20/20" tips they'd like to share?

I'm heading to Utila later this year to get my OW & AOW certifications. I did a discovery dive earlier this year that impressed upon me the value of a dry bag. Any other items I may want to bring along that I'll be glad of later? The operator (Utila Dive Center) provides all equipment, and I don't have the experience to know what would be best for me yet in any case, so I'm not concerned with that.

I did find the 3mm suit on my discovery dive in St. Barth to be awfully warm for a Northern girl in March. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were to be true for Honduras in November - chilly for a local, but HOT for someone used to cooler climes. I've seen cheap lycra full body "skins" on Amazon. Would something like this be worth taking along to use in lieu of a thicker suit?

Thanks!

Bechi

IMO an absolute must is to get your own mask. A proper fitting mask will make your training much more enjoyable. Don't order it on line but rather go to every dive shop you can and test them all until you find the best fit for you. Don't even look at the price until you have "the one". Cost is the last thing you should consider, an expensive mask that is a poor fit is worthless and an inexpensive mask that fits just right is priceless. While looking at mask, you will likely be sold a snorkel. Don't buy the fancy super special ones....get a regular old J tube cheapie. they work fine and cost a lot less.

I like a lycra skin for sun protection. The tropical sun will cook you very fast, sunscreen washes off, it's not good for the reef and you always miss a spot that will burn. A full body skin solves that problem. I suspect you will find the 3mm suit OK once you start diving, you can always flush a little water thru it to cool off some but being too cold sucks.

You may also want to get dive boots. Most fins use them and having a pair that fits helps. They are also nice for walking between the room and the boat, no need to take shoes or flip flops to keep up with.

I would rather be a little on the warm side than getting cold and trying to play catch up all day. I never use less than a 3mm full suit in the tropics it is easier to let a little water in to cool down than try to warm up. When doing multiple dives in a day the second and third will be cooler than the first. Also drink plenty of water and eat a snack in between dives this will help as well. I’ve dove in that area several times and the last time I was there the water temperature was 81-82F. A small dry bag for the boat is great and a mesh bag to carry mask and fins if you are supplying those items if not you may want to buy your own mask that fits your face usually rental masks suck and my not fit you well which adds another stressor to you class that you don’t need.

I second the mask recommendation. Especially as a woman, it can be hard to find a mask that fits well.

Take the wetsuit. The water was 82 when I was there in May and 78 when I was there in March. I dove in a 3mm and was comfortable at 82 but got cold after a bit when the water was below 80. I'm a northern girl too - but you don't often spend an hour fully submerged in an 80 degree lake so you really can't compare the two experiences. Everyone is different but the last thing you want is to get cold.

Oh, and a few bathing suits that don't tie at the back of your neck. This can become really irritating - the knot and the zipper all in the same place for many hours a day.

Oh wow! Great advice! I'll look into all of these. Keep them coming please!

Thanks!

Oh wow! Great advice! I'll look into all of these. Keep them coming please!

Thanks!
Oh and something to get rid of dry mouth after a dive. My husband likes Werthers. They're okay but I think fresh pineapple does a better job. Still good to bring a hard candy in case there is no fresh fruit on the dive boat.

Completely agree on the mask. Great advice from Herman. I'd also purchase a fish identification card from the dive shop. So when you're back on the boat you can figure out all the cool creatures you see.

Dry bag is sooooooo important to keep your dive log dry (if you don't do digital.) mine got ruined when I put it in the wrong place in my bag.

Boat dives: long sleeve SPF+ top and a towel in your dry bag. For the surface interval, peel off the top of the wetsuit, dry off, and put on the other top for sun protection. (Or take the wetsuit off completely: you'll want to do that for bathroom break anyway.) Wet wetsuit will cool down very fast in the breeze and cool you down. Be careful with the sun: in the breeze and cool after a dive you won't feel the burn until you're cooked.

1)During day, Split your body coverage:
Bathroom breaks on a rocking boat with a less than clean floor make a full wet suit or rash guard hard to deal with:: I brought a two piece bathing suit, long tank that covers brief bottoms, and over that I wore full length leggings with full length sleeve rash guard top.
2)Bring that 3mm wetsuit for night dive
If you are doing AOW, it seems likely you will dive night, and that is colder, so you will use your 3mm shorty then. I was scared of the night dive, but the truth is that today's flashlights are so bright, it is not really scary, but really magical, in my opinion.
3)Book in extra dive times after certification completion.
Plan for more dives than you need, as then you will DEFINITELY complete certification, even if there is one of a thousand possible problems canceling one of your dives. Reality is that things go wrong, please don't be angry at the dive shop people. they really want you to be a strong diver.
4)Short people need short fins
If you are short, (I am 5"2") then leg cramps are often a problem for new type of muscle use. I took old fins and trimmed a few inches off them to reduce strain, with minimal effect on finning strength, but still excellent control of fin movement. they may offer you split fins, but I think that loses both strength and control of finning.
5)prescription mask
After fit is assured, next step is if you wear glasses and get your prescription in your mask, you will have better experience and memories of this trip. I would advise against a camera for the training dives, plan more future trips for photography.
6)I dont agree about cheap snorkel, get one that does not let sea water drip in the open spout, and into your mouth.
7)Hair detangler, if you have hair past your ears. Ziplock snack baggies for tip money to keep it dry, (although they will accept wet money too) Bring your own toilet paper in ziplock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom