USIA Techniflex = DUI CF200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClamBake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning on buying a drysuit in the next couple of weeks and based on everything I have read here and on various manufacturer's sites I am leaning toward the USIA Techniflex. Only problem, I have not seen one in person (but my LDS is willing to bring in one for me to try on - but that might take a few weeks and I'd like to get my custom order in soon). I have seen and tried on several DUI CF200s and it's my understanding that the Techniflex Bio Flex fabric is very similar to the CF200. Can someone confirm the similarity?

Also, any reason that the Techniflex (with Exotherm II - 16oz fleece) would not be appropriate for non-technical, mainly beach, diving throughout the winter in New England with more boat diving and wreck penetration in the not too distant future? I see the Techniflex as offering more inherent thermal protection, less drag and more durable than the USIA Aquapro Plus (which is currently my second choice because I like the horizontal front entry) at about half the cost of the DUI CF200.

Thanks in advance.

I've never seen the USIA suit but I do know that the CF200 process is a patented process and DUI is the only manufacturer of "Crushed Neoprene". I've had several other manufacturers call their "compressed" product crushed in conversation knowing full well that it isn't.

Dave

The Techniflex is tough stuff, but it is NOT neoprene, it does not offer any thermal protection, and it will be only as streamlined as any other common shell suit. I'd say the Techniflex compares favorably to the DUI CLX400.

To my mind, 16oz fleece would be pretty thin for the cold waters up there. I bought a 300g Thinsulate suit for waters in the lower 50s, and am buying something else for the great lakes. I'd think you'd be in for a major letdown just going with the fleece if you want to be warm.

All that said, I love my Techniflex suit, and couldn't imagine trading it for any suit I've seen from anyone else for my purposes. I did custom cut as well, and that is truly the way to go with USIA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom