Using a Glock to discourage sharks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the entire idea of firing underwater really had little to do with engaging a target also beneath the surface. Rather, it was forseen that rebreather divers on attempting to surface might need to engage targets on a beach or platform above, the weapon needed to be capable of firing submerged, but the idea was to fire upwards to hit a target above the water.

Exactly what I was thinking about. Military personal such as navy seals and so forth would be more likely to encounter a need to fire up out of the water at a target more likely then they would down into the water at a marine life threat.

:) Well I'm hoping that when I start patrol I'll be able to carry a 1911. But glock's are indestructible they say.

You should read the articles about all the test they have put them through. They have frozen them in mud in sub zero temperatures for extended periods of time and thawed them out to shoot flawlesly. They also have had reports where they were dropped in salt water for months before being found and cleaned up and able to fire flawlessly. They are an amazing weapon. Here (And where I used to LEO at they would not allow 1911s though because they had to be cocked in order to fire. They deemed them a liability to carry on patrol sadly.)

I want to see a scuba tank explode underwater

when you do tape it for me. Id rather not be around that serious of a concusion LOL. Or ill watch from a boat from several hundred feet away! :cool2:

Me thinks the flatlander OP is pulling our collective fins.

I did not find this on the Glock website.

This program & material does exist, but is not available except by military contract.

Greetings fellow sidearm enthusiasts I see that this thread has grown quite interesting.
As RoatanMan suggests these were available to military contract for special teams however I have seen them out there from time to time.
I do think it might be possible for law enforcement to find them if they so chose to.

Vince in the time I have carried a handgun I have never had to use it for self defense, THANK GOD!
I would never wish to or desire to fire upon another human only under extreme circumstances.
In the afore mentioned incident there were multiple people under the influence of drugs and alcohol already acting out in a violent way.
I was put between them with my wife and two kids on our way back to our vehicle to exit this park.
If I had been with my diving friends it would have been better but not much due to loaded down with gear.
A firearm would have made me feel better but honestly might have made the situation worse.
It can be like that some times.

I see that there are other 45 cal lovers out there!
Personally I love 1911's, HK's, XD's, GK's.
I really like the compact GK 45, very nice and carries well.
What is it about a 1911 that just flat shoots itself and pretty accurate as well!
I have had great times shooting and love weapons respecting them very much.
A weapon is the last resort in defense only when good decisions have failed and there are no longer any retreat to safety.

For those men and women who have to carry them to protect and serve us I commend you for your service and thank you.
I still believe that the greatest threat is above water than below!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Me thinks the flatlander OP is pulling our collective fins.

I did not find this on the Glock website.

Methinks somebody's been watching old Sea Hunt reruns ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom