Using a Vivitar camera in a Sea Life housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes we have inner cameras available for replacement - sometimes we have the option of new or refurbished as well. We don't always have them in stock, so it depends on the time and camera model you are looking for. As the DC500 has been discontinued for a little bit over a year, stock is limited and new ones are not available, but we have a few refurbished.

Just to follow up, Denise was very good in responding quickly, but the replacement refurbished cameras they offer are $150! That's more than Canon charged me for a replacement A620!
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ca...furbished-cameras-replace-broken-cameras.html

To me, the $150 will be better spent upgrading to a better, more reliable camera instead of dropping it on another 5 megapixel camera with a short battery life and a habit of freezing up underwater (which caused the flood in the first place). Oh well, it looks like my relationship with Sealife is coming to an end.

Just to follow up, Denise was very good in responding quickly, but the replacement refurbished cameras they offer are $150! That's more than Canon charged me for a replacement A620!
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ca...furbished-cameras-replace-broken-cameras.html

To me, the $150 will be better spent upgrading to a better, more reliable camera instead of dropping it on another 5 megapixel camera with a short battery life and a habit of freezing up underwater (which caused the flood in the first place). Oh well, it looks like my relationship with Sealife is coming to an end.
Thanks for that; I didn't know Canon has that policy. I just posted over there as to what I think of it - yuck! - but an option nonetheless.

But I agree, $150 to get a refurb that will fit your housing is not very appealing. When I dropped my brand new DC500 in a rinse bucket (Their latch leaves something to be desired doesn't it? I'd like to know how the freezing caused the flooding, but ok.) I dried it well but it was toast. My LDS sent it in, then called me saying Sealife wanted $35 to replace it and my response was "Will they take Visa?" Since mine was FW flooding, maybe the reason for the damage was not so obvious.

I did find a Vivitar that fits my DC500 housing for $30, flashed it with the firmware and it works like a dream so I have a cheeeep spare to take on my trips. If/when I do flood my DC500, I think I'll just claim it (see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/240365-gear-camera-insurance-choices.html) and spend the $700 on a new & better set-up. I can probly Ebay the Vivitar easily enough as you never see them on US Ebay and there are a lot of DC500s still in use and being flooded. UK Ebay has a Vivicam 5340s now and then, I've been watching while shopping for other items, but buying there is a new hassle with international shipping, customs, etc and the 5340s would probly cost $100 US or so delivered. :(

Yeah, I like my $5/year insurance, no deductible, go shopping with money deal the best. :crafty:

Don - thanks for posting all of the information on insurance. I will definitely look into that. As for
I'd like to know how the freezing caused the flooding, but ok
here's what happened. I was using the camera while snorkeling at Lauderdale by the Sea. We were seeing some great stuff that day - including a Spotted Eagle Ray! - but the camera froze up and would not respond to any button pushing. Since I really did not want to miss any more shots, I opened up the housing, took the battery out and put it back in, and went back in the water. In the process, I must have let a grain of sand in the seal because it flooded instantly - only a few drops, but enough to ruin the camera. So, yes it was my fault for opening the housing, but if the camera didn't lock up regularly I would not have had to open it. That problem (and the short battery life) is why I stopped taking it on dive boats.

I've looked into the Vivitars, but I think there is a run on them now as peoples' DC500s are dying. I'll keep looking, but eventually I'll probably sell off the housing, wide angle lens, flash, etc.

It looks like the Canon program has changed, but at least they are trying to build brand loyalty and keep the customers they already have!

Yeah, I just edited my post on your Canon thread. I was wrong; there is no housing for your A560.

And yeah, there are going to be a lot more DC500 housings than used DC500 cameras and Vivicam 5340s combined. I kinda doubt you could sell the housing, and a quick search on US & UK Ebays shows no 5340s available.

I'm glad I'm finally insuring my packages. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom