Using AIR 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may have to go to “Plan B” and use a conventional octo for this trip anyway. 😎
' This is the way'. [ Mandalorian].
I have played around with this setup in the past and have come to the conclusion the statement below is correct.
There is one piece of actual dive gear made that is dangerous for its intended purpose. That is the air intragrated inflator.

Real world is controlling the bouyancy of yourself and a panicked OOA person using the same device your breathing from.

There is one piece of actual dive gear made that is dangerous for its intended purpose. That is the air intragrated inflator. But your an adult do as you wish.
SOLO divers like myself do not plan for an OOA person needing to use the same device I am breathing from. But....... having the Air 2 gives me an additional and viable option should I choose to assist an OOA person.

I have no idea if you are an adult or a juvenile...... but I totally agree that you should do as you wish. Just leave me out of it.

I'm betting that the dive shop owners think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and your expert buddies don't like it too much.
As a dive shop owner, an instructor and a seasoned diver...I do not like them. As stated above, if you are donating air and there is any panic involved with either party, you are in the position of controlling buoyancy with the device that is in your mouth and providing life support at the same time. What are the chances in that situation that you might hold your breath while ascending?

They also require a longer inflator hose and they are bulky. They dangle. They require service more often than a traditional second stage. Take a look at a 40" hose that routes under your right arm and goes to a 90º swivel as your primary and your alternate second stage on 26" hose attached to a bungee necklace.

I have a 5th get air 2 and love it. Just make sure your corrugated is long enough to comfortably stay in your mouth with full head movement. Also, a longer primary hose that you can donate when needed. 40"+ or it won't be long enough to comfortably share air. Dive your gear and let the neigh-sayers dive theirs.

This^^

I was certified in 1986, and there was one on the BCD I bought immediately thereafter.

I am now on my third one, solely due to upgrading as newer versions were introduced.

I have had one on my rig for every open water dive I have ever done.

I have upgraded to a 40” Miflex hose for my primary, but that is the only accommodation I have made.

I have it serviced on the same interval as my regulator.

I have never had a problem with any of the versions I have owned.

I use one and like it. So much I bought a second one.

Some folks say "THEY"RE BAD !!!! YOU"RE GONNA DIE!!!!"

A. Yeah. They're right. I'm gonna die. That's for sure. Bet on it.

B. Nobody's able to explain why they think they're bad. Buoyancy on ascent? I almost always never have any air in my BC at any point during a dive so whoopy-doo! I inflate (usually) before jumping, and immediately deflate all of it when everybody is ready to descend. If I did for some really weird reason have air in the bladder, there's a dump on my right shoulder to use... Or if not, suppose there's the breech ascent position for butt dumping.... I just don't touch the inflate button again until I'm back topside after the dive. If you don't put air in your BC, it will not frack up your buoyancy as you go down and up and back down and back up again whenever you want to and will it to be so. If for some reason I needed to add a little air to the BC when ascending, the mouthpiece is already in my mouth - I just need to hold the deflate button down and blow. Or momentarily remove the mouthpiece and hit the inflate button and then return the mouthpiece and resume.

C. You eliminate a hose and another dangly down thing if you use an Air2. Cutting the drag from that probably adds 1, maybe 1.5 kts, to my submerged cruise speed..... OK, maybe not. But still one less thing to futz around with.

D. I have taken to clipping on another bottle right under my left arm anyway, should I need it, like if a monster barracuda swam up and bit my LP hose off my first stage way back where I couldn't get to it to sip air. But that bottle is exclusively for me, not somebody else.

I have used them and not used them, they have some real world advantages like being right where you expect it to be just like your standard inflator.

if you have an abundance of air in your b/c on ascent you may be better served with a weight check than a long hose.

I like the Atomic/Zeagle types because the screw on just like those inflators I use (Zeagle) unlike the SP.

I have found them, due to the simple (ish) design to not require an over abundance of service but they can be fussy to adjust.

I don’t see them as a continue the dive type of thing, more of a get out alive sort of thing.

my biggest problem with them is the big easy to push buttons which I’ve bumped when on the surface during a swim out which happens sometimes while checking other gear that I have clipped off.

I rarely have air in my b/c except on the swim out.

I used to have one, and used it as the secondary air source for OOA situations.

That changed in 1993 when I was diving with an insta-buddy with a similar setup. When my SPG came fell off (unscrewed) I was then on their AIR2 with their buoyancy controls. I bought a proper octo before my next dive.

That changed in 1993 when I was diving with an insta-buddy with a similar setup. When my SPG came fell off (unscrewed) I was then on their AIR2 with their buoyancy controls. I bought a proper octo before my next dive.
While I'm not personally a fan of AIR2s, the scenario you described is a mis-use of them. They should have donated their primary (on a suitable length hose) to you and they switch to the AIR2.... Giving you both a bit more space and letting him maintain his own Buoyancy controls.

Respectfully,

James

While I'm not personally a fan of AIR2s, the scenario you described is a mis-use of them. They should have donated their primary (on a suitable length hose) to you and they switch to the AIR2.... Giving you both a bit more space and letting him maintain his own Buoyancy controls.

Respectfully,

James

Clearly the device worked perfectly, since @Edward3c is here to report on the incident.

It appears to me that this is operator error, maybe on the insta-buddy, as it appears that there was a piece of equipment on their rig that they were not familiar with?

Respectfully,

James
It was in the early days of octo rigs, no agency had mandated them, we were in the learning phase, and still teaching Buddy Breathing. I'm not sure if long hoses were even available then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom