Using AVG depth for PG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texass

Reaction score
Computer brain rot question for y'all.

When I fill in the PG field on my dive log, I'm almost always off of the chart using tables and a square profile. I've gotten into the habit of using my Avg depth just so I can have some kind of reference for my PG. I then use the PG I get when planning my next dive. It really isn't as much for safety as it is for a general sense of what that day's diving profiles are like.

Again this is only to get a general outline, but I'm curious if what I'm looking at has ANY actual credence.

WHY? Just for fun mainly.

After filling out my log, I run a plan using a guesstimate of my SI on the computer. My brain doesn't internalize that number as well as if I can say "Hmm, I am now at this PG." I like to go through the mechanics of using a table for the same reason. Unfortunately if the table says I'm in the black I can't do that, at least I don't know how to.

Exactly WHAT?

OK, I don't have my computer or logbook handy so I'm going with concept instead. My computer says I had 15 minutes of NDL remaining when I started my safety stop. When I pull out my tables, they tell me I've violated my NDL. The 15 minutes remaining is pertinent information, but I want a "Big Picture" type of thing as well. Sooo I fudge and use my average depth number in order to keep playing scubaguy stuff during my SI.

What EQUIPMENT?

A Cobra computer.

How I USE IT?

I look at what the screen tells me and, as long as it jives with what I got when I ran the Plan program, I listen to it. That is, if the plan said I had 20 minutes at my max depth, but the computer is telling me I've got another 17 minutes 15 minutes into the dive around that max depth, I would lose my faith and ascend halfway to the surface and stop, etc.

WHY revisited.

I was just curious.

Hi Texass,

From what you're saying, it sounds like you're diving your computer's plan, and then trying to cross-reference your profile back to your tables for the sake of your log book.

If you want ro record your pressure group in your log, I would suggest that the best way to do that is to plan your dive against your tables.

When you reach your NDL limit (according to the tables), then that's the end of your dive, even if your computer says you have 15 minutes of no-deco time left.

If you really want to dive to your computer's plan, and record a PG equivalent of your tables, you could try this:
Immediately (10-15 mins) after your dive, enter your computer's planning mode, an see what it is telling you your NDLs are for a few arbitary depths. Reference back to your tables for comparable NDLs in a single PG for a SI of 10 minutes.

Please note that I have not tried this, and have no idea if it would work.

If it does give results that can be referenced back to your tables, that I recommend against using the resulting PG to plan any subsequent dives.

Texass once bubbled...
WHY? Just for fun mainly.

After filling out my log, I run a plan using a guesstimate of my SI on the computer. My brain doesn't internalize that number as well as if I can say "Hmm, I am now at this PG." I like to go through the mechanics of using a table for the same reason. Unfortunately if the table says I'm in the black I can't do that, at least I don't know how to.

<snip>

Your computer has a planning mode, right? You can use the planning mode to put yourself back on the tables. By starting with your adjusted NDL and reading the table backwards. Here's how:

Directly upon surfacing, enter the planning mode and look at the adjusted NDL for the next dive. Pick any depth, say 60 ft. Suppose your computer tells you that your adjusted NDL for 60ft is 20 min.

Now you take your table (I'll use the PADI table for this example) and look at the back of it where you see the adjusted NDL's. Read the table backwards by looking across the 60ft row until you find 20min and then up to find your pressure group. That's your current pressure group, in this case N.

If you wait for a period of time you need to adjust for your surface interval too.

Say in the previous example you discovered after 30 min (perhaps after getting back on the boat and de-kitting) that you were an N. What was your group when you surfaced? For that you need to go to the surface intervals on the front of the table. Start at the bottom of the table and find group N. Look up the N column until you find the 30min SI, in this case from :29-:33 min, and read to the left to find your group when you surfaced, in this case V.

Easy, eh?

There are a couple of "gotcha's" in this story, though. One has to do with surface intervals. Your PADI table uses a 60min compartment for off-gassing. That's most likely faster than your computer. If you wait long enough you'll find that you've totally cleared on the PADI table but your computer is still giving you an adjusted NDL that's less than a cleared value. The best way to avoid this is to check as soon as possible after surfacing. And obviously this difference makes it unwise to use this technique for planning subsequent dives.

The other gotcha has to do with your bottom time and maximum depth. After finding your group on the PADI table, you might notice that your bottom time and/or maximum depth are off the scale. This is logical given the differences between tables and the computer.

R..

I saw your answer to the TheAce's jacuzzi question and realized I wasn't going about this right. Answers are easier once you figure out the right question! lol What I really should have been asking is how do I find my PG when using a dive computer.

I appreciate your insight.

Hello Texass

I am not sure that it is possible to determine the pressure group from a computer .
Your Cobra will use an algorithm I do not know what one it uses it may be a modified trade secret . You do not say what tables you are using but which ever they are they will be different to the ones used by your computer it is not possible to mix & match . Even a computer using a Bullmann algorithm and Bullmann tables will be different as there are several variations . The tables could be more conservative and the algorithm used in the computer may be slightly more aggressive as it calculates in real time.

Why not enter the time remaining in your log book ? As long as you are diving within the limits of your Cobra you should be fine.
Trust your Cobra it is much more likely to be correct than any amount of fudging or tables.

Have fun :)

Yours Alban

Like others mentioned, there is no letter group when you are diving with a computer. It is only applicable when diving with tables. If it was my log, I'd either leave it blank or write in "computer dive."

I DO NOT USE THE PG TO PLAN MY NEXT DIVE!!!

I hope nobody will misconstrue anything in this thread as being a "backup" procedure for any computer malfunction, etc.

Hello Texass

I think as you said you where trying to look at the big picture which is a good thing , as unfortunately computers can be misused they will let you dive as many times in a day as you want . :boom: As I said I don't think it's possible to correlate the information but as you said it's a fun exercise anyway.:)

Yours Alban

Back
Top Bottom