Using existing regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyblackau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Quick question, I'm new to sidemount and have purchased the dive rite nomad xt. The plan is to purchase a set of xt nomad regs but in the mean time I still have my oceanic fdx10 with delta4 regs and was wanting to use this with new hoses and spg. Will the fact that the 1st stages don't have swivel turrets cause me grief? Or will I need to buy new regs with swivel turrets? Long term plan is to swap out new regs but want something now to get me in water.

Thoughts and advice?

I just did my first dive with my NOMAD I am using din valves with yoke adapters, standard tank valves on AL80. My goal, as this setup is for open water right now is to use easy to get standard open water stuff. Good luck go dive it, Other than a couple of little hose routing issues (got a lot better 2nd dive), this setup is super cool. Got the hang of it right away.

As far as I can see the problem is on the other end of the hose. You can always go with 5 foot hoses and tuck the extra under bungies to get the hoses routed as if they were swivel. IIRC Diveaholic uses non swivel first stages without a problem so even the inflator hose is not an issue apparently.

What is an issue is that with the built into the hose swivel that the delta 4's have, you are going to have to buy stuff just to make any new hoses work with the regs, stuff that you are apparently going to have no use for if you are just selling the regs afterwards anyways.

---------- Post added July 5th, 2013 at 12:27 PM ----------

I just did my first dive with my NOMAD I am using din valves with yoke adapters, standard tank valves on AL80. My goal, as this setup is for open water right now is to use easy to get standard open water stuff. Good luck go dive it, Other than a couple of little hose routing issues (got a lot better 2nd dive), this setup is super cool. Got the hang of it right away.

I assume you mean DIN REGS with adaptor o standard valves. If so, how's the Ring bungie work with Yoke adapted DIN regs for you?

Would someone be able to take a photo of their setup so I can visualise it, all I've seen is dive rite and hollis setups which are obviously swivel turrets and make the setup look streamlined. Thanks in advance.

As far as I can see the problem is on the other end of the hose. You can always go with 5 foot hoses and tuck the extra under bungies to get the hoses routed as if they were swivel. IIRC Diveaholic uses non swivel first stages without a problem so even the inflator hose is not an issue apparently.

What is an issue is that with the built into the hose swivel that the delta 4's have, you are going to have to buy stuff just to make any new hoses work with the regs, stuff that you are apparently going to have no use for if you are just selling the regs afterwards anyways.

---------- Post added July 5th, 2013 at 12:27 PM ----------

I assume you mean DIN REGS with adaptor o standard valves. If so, how's the Ring bungie work with Yoke adapted DIN regs for you?

Yea that's what I meant sorry. I used the classic bungee set up first 3 dives and it was a pain for me. so I just made a set of ring bungees with chokers haven't dove it yet but there isn't a lot of room, Clips end up between yoke hand wheel and burst disk.

Run the regulator hose down the cylinder and back. This is what I do with my Apeks DS4 non-swivel first stages. Easy to adjust to varying neck lengths :wink: As the hose comes from under your arm it will not interfere with the roof and it's nice and streamlined. Use it with a 90 degree fixed angle adaptor for comfort. A standard length hose will do. No need to custom build. You cut some rubber loops from a cars/vans inner tire to keep the hose at bay. Cost: nil. Or you purchase them from a retailer at $5 value each.

Be warned though: the 90 deg adaptor lets the regulator to rotate and this may lead to and upside down regulator and some memorable moments would you share gas with a slightly unfocused buddy.

Note also that some 'side mount regulator kits' do exist. Some of these have a fifth port at the end of the first stage. These are fitted with a very short hose that goes directly to your drysuit (if any). Short, straight and pressurized = stiff.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 09:04 AM ----------

If you have a long hose too, then instead of running it along the cylinder, tuck it under your belt (and back and then around your neck) from where it is easy to pull out. It's also easy to put back there. A small 1 litre suit gas bottle can also be carried on the belt and it would also keep the long hose in control.

---------- Post added July 10th, 2013 at 09:10 AM ----------

The SPG:s can be attached in a variety of ways: with short hoses (deco cylinder style); with short hoses and pointing up/forward (perheaps secured somewhere with a bungee loop); with a longer HP hose running along the cylinder and back.

Just use what you have now and fix the issues found.

Last edited:
I got a nomad for free as my first sidemount rig and I attempted the same thing you are talking about. I used Oceanic FDX-10's, I tried again with a pair of Oceanic GT-3's (All were just old regs I had lying around) and it never felt right.

I am a firm believer of less is more so getting a 1st stage and proper hose routing made the world of difference for me. I quickly scrapped the original set up and went with 2x Hollis DC-1 1st stages. (You would get the same general idea out of the Apeks DST, HOG D1, or a few different Dive Rite Regs) I really have fallen in love with my Hollis DC-1. I ended up putting 2x Atomic M1 2nd Stages and did the hose routing similar to what you would see if you bought the ready to dive apeks sidemount kit.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is if you really want to get into SM commit to SM specific gear, it will make the experience so much better. The FDX-10's never cleaned it up as much as it should be. I really like the swivel based on how I route my hoses. Take some time, think about how you want to run your gear, and purchase some new kit that really fits what you want to do.

Swayze - I just purchased the dive rite xt Sm kit. By the time I costed new hoses, spgs, din conversions it was adding up to slightly over the xt kit which Daren from my lds (divedivedive.com.au a cheap plug but they have a great inline store now) sorted me out with. It didn't make sense for the cost to build a system that didn't work great in anything. Thanks for your advice, I'm sure it just saved me a headache a heartache.

Back
Top Bottom