Using NEVERWET to modify gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmy71

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys. Could not think of a good place to put this but I just bought some of this stuff and am batting around how to use it to modify my gear.

Just think of the possibilities of scuba gear that never gets wet? I am going to try it out on some stuff and see what i think. I am really curious if it is clear and how it handles flexibility. I am going to put it on some fins to check that and possibly an old mask to see if it stops fogging and the little drips after you clear. I also plan on coating some soft weights to keep the water out of them.

Here is the video that got me interested. I bought the kit that will cover 10 square feet. I can not wait to hear what the DIYers come up with. Watch Can This Product Really Keep Liquids Off Everything? Video | Break.com

Jimmy

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Saw this stuff today also. Keep us posted

Interesting I could see this as being very beneficial to the rebreather and spraying the inside of the loop with it to prevent the nasty slime/crud build up in the corrugated hoses, among other things.

Hopefully it is non toxic.

Let us know how it goes. I'm thinking canlight battery, and camera. Probably won't save anything in the event of a full flood, but for a leak it may save things.

I could see using it on the inside of the mask if it keeps it clear. Maybe applying to harness webbing to help prevent rotting from water, would probably still see issues around friction points though.

Applying to at least the outside of scuba tanks to prevent corrosion, not sure how will it would be for you on the inside. Dive computers could also use it as an extra layer of protection.

On and in the drysuit would be great and make for drying out from sweat much easier, if it doesn't irritate the skin from prolonged contact.

I wonder how it would do on the hull of boats or kayaks.

On fins could be nice. I also like the soft weights idea.

While it could be expensive if it doesn't work right or ruins the optics used on a camera could be nice too.

Even on a swimsuit could be nice, no more damp clothes or seats if you wear one while scuba diving, depending on how it makes fabric feel afterwords.

I could even think of some probably not good ideas:
Apply to your entire body and not worry about bringing a towel.
Not sure how well it would work for use on a wet suit.

Lots of ideas in my head for use outside of diving, like camping.

Hopefully it is non toxic.

Well, it is composed of nano-particles that, AFAK, haven't actually had long-term testing on humans or the environment. Because it repels water, I doubt it's biodegradable, and if you manage to get it in you, it's unlikely your body has any way to remove it.

I have no plans on using it on anything.

It sounds like the new "asbestos"

flots

The question is what is in that stuff and would it react with the plastics used in dive gear?

So after researching this some more it is a translucent white when dried, so not real good for optics or masks until they come out with the clear version at least. The commercial version is called Ultra-Ever Dry by Ultratech to get it in more than a spray can size. There is concern that as depth increases you lose its benefits, as it also relies on an air barrier, it would maintain the repelancy(sp?) and if you applied more air as in breathing out and letting the air bubbles flow along it to refresh it would maintain the dryness in theory. It breaks down with UV and is only good for a year if exposed to the sun for that time, else it is longer than a year. The base coat supplied while it can be applied to fabrics, washes away after a few washes and there is a different base coat to use with fabrics that increases its durability.

So while it has uses in scuba it has not been really tested at depths. The good news is once you get back to the surface it will start working again. Also it is an anti-corrosive so using on metal will help prolong their life. It also provides some anti-abbrasion qualities.

Also the bottom coat contains xylene, while the top coat has acetone. Both of those fairly quickly dissipate but they are solvents so could affect our materials.

I was thinking about using NeverWet on the inside of dive computers when I change batteries. Does anyone know if this will affect the functionality? A frosted look won't matter in the back and on the battery and I plan on using gloves when applying it as the oils on human skin tend to wipe NeverWet off. I'd love to never have a computer ruined again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom