Using tank on jeeps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kxkid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone know what would be needed to use a scuba tank to fill a tire or hook up a air gun to one to use on a jeep?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

A reg and a Schrader fitting to plug into your LP inflator hose.

Oh. And a tire guage.

If only using a the first stage of a reg then you should also use a pressure relief valve.

Something like this to put on your inflator hose. And maybe a pressure gauge like mentioned before.
Innovative-Tire-Inflator.jpg
link

Scuba tank, first stage, BC inflator hose, and a BC-hose compatible tire inflator like the one made by Innovative.
The tire inflator connects to the BC hose and you're good to go.

To purge your reg when all done simply turn your tank off and press a pin into the tire inflator.
You'll have to use a standard car tire gauge to see the pressure of the tire. I don't think there's any way to connect a tire-pressure gauge to your system for when you're filling.

If only using a the first stage of a reg then you should also use a pressure relief valve.

This is a very important point. If you still have a second stage connected, it acts as a relief and all is good. Otherwise without some form of pressure relief, when the first stage fails the LP hose will act as the pressure relief. Trust me, you do not want one to expload near you. It's very loud and you can get hurt. You can get OPVs for around $7.

Yes you can run an air gun. Needed to break off some seized lug nuts on a trailer, used 1/2" impact gun and it works fine. I have a old scubapro mark V that I hooked an airline too for filling tires and running air tools in remote spots.

You run it off a inflator hose

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

My son uses an LP95 on his jeep tires all the time. Takes no time to get the tires fully inflated after he's dropped the pressure for a day of off-roading. He has the inflator that cascas showed in his post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom