Using unbranded underwater housings with cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm sure there are some out there who're using unbranded underwater camera housings and I've recently come across this one for the EOS 550D. The Ikelite is the cheapest big name one for my model but I was thinking that I could use that money for a good sidemount rig and have enough change for a good course or two.

Over in Malaysia, I see a lot of G11s and G12s in unbranded housings. Some of them are supposedly manufactured or marketed under the MeiKon brand name. I just saw one last weekend where the owner needed to carry a few thin bamboo sticks (imagine thick long toothpicks) underwater because some of the buttons stuck. Didn't ask how long she'd been using it for though.

This MeiKon branded one for the EOS 550D is almost 4 times cheaper than the Ikelite and I was wondering whether it'd at least do the job for a year or so after which case I'll either upgrade the entire system or put some decent money on the Gibson carbon fiber underwater housing by BS Kinetics.

Other than sticky buttons has anyone encountered any unexpected floods with the no namers?

$(KGrHqIOKosFFz43uMFiBRhI8kSURQ~~60_3.JPG$(KGrHqJHJEUFE2Hmwii1BRhI8nKmt!~~60_3.JPG$(KGrHqMOKpwE7I6)2Y!pBRhI8hIj5!~~60_3.JPG

If you're trying to save a few bucks you're going to be disappointed in the long run. Underwater photography is obscenely expensive, and DSLR's are the worst end of the spectrum. They're also the least flexible system available. A quality housing will have a decent resale value, and will most likely last longer than the effective life of the camera, which was obsolete before it ever left the factory.

You may want to look at a compact camera system, and instead, invest in top-quality strobes and lighting, which will long outlast any camera system you buy, and will easily transition to dslr if you decide to go that route later on.

... A quality housing will have a decent resale value, and will most likely last longer than the effective life of the camera, which was obsolete before it ever left the factory.

Seems like a lot of owners are holding onto theirs though. Have almost never come across a second hand EOS550D's underwater housing for sale although I suppose when the day comes for me to take the plunge, I'll probably get a new one.

The housing pictured above doesn't seem to have much, if any, flexibility with regards to lenses. So you'll be limited to what fits in the port.

The housing pictured above doesn't seem to have much, if any, flexibility with regards to lenses. So you'll be limited to what fits in the port.

I'm alright with that because I was thinking of just using a prime lens since I'm into taking photos of individual animals rather than of myself or of large sections of reefs.

What prime lens fits in that port?

I have the Meikon brand housing for my S100 and for the (little) money I paid for it, I'm very happy with it. As far as I can tell from pictures online, it seems identical to the Canon brand housing, except for the colours and a different mechanism that keeps the latch closed.

Now, there is one thing that broke on my housing: the mechanism on the latch. :tongue: But that was partly my fault, I had the housing drop from about 2 feet onto ceramic floor. For that, I'm surprised that nothing more happened to it. And being a DIY guy, I came up with my own mechanism to keep that latch closed.

Of course, for people who want "more", this housing would probably be very limiting. But I don't wanna spend huge bucks on some massive, semi professional camera rig. I just want to take decent pictures without spending a fortune. For that, this housing is perfect.

Thanks for your view on the MEIKON housing. I have just bought (should rather say "ordered") one for the Pan GF3 but unfortunately there are not a lot of comments from users about the MEIKON housings. Good to hear you are happy with it. My reasoning for going for a cheap housing was down the same lines as yours. I don't go diving every week and for those few occasions I want a simple camera without spending a fortune.

I just saw one last weekend where the owner needed to carry a few thin bamboo sticks (imagine thick long toothpicks)
Aka chopsticks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom