Using underwater lenses on land?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maractwin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I've invested in all of this underwater camera gear, and have a C5050, PT-015, INON strobe and INON WAL and macro lenses. I'm pretty happy with how it works underwater.

It has occured to me that it would occasionally be nice to be able to use a macro lens on land too. While I could do that with the camera in the housing and the wet-mount lens on the front, it makes for a very heavy bulky camera. Experimenting shows that this works, with the focal distance a little different than underwater.

I've searched the web and see that I can get extension tubes and adapters that would enable me to put these lenses directly on the front of the camera. Any reason not to do this? Anything I should know about?

I know that I would be better off with an SLR, but I've already got everything I need for this except a $10 adapter.

-Mark

maractwin:
I know that I would be better off with an SLR, but I've already got everything I need for this except a $10 adapter.

-Mark

Seems to me you answered your own question. Without a doubt you'd be better of with an SLR, but for $10...

"Math is hard, Ken!" -- talking Barbie doll c. 1984 before being immediately removed from store shelves.

FWIW...

--divetahoe--

I know you can use the WAL, with the camera in the housing, on land; been there, done that.

I don't think there is any advantage to the macro lens adapter over supermacro mode on land. Underwater, the macro adapter lets you take the picture from a little further away using macro mode - where the flash works. On land, you normally don't need the flash.

I've tried my macro wetlens (UN PCU-01) on land by attaching it to the end of a CLA-1. You need a 43-55mm and a 55-67mm step-up ring for it. You can attach the Inon wide wetlens in a similar fashion be it is a very heavy lens so you will need to support it with your hand.

In macro mode, full-tele, with the PCU-01 attached you can fill the frame (length-wise) with a 3.2 cm object with a working distance of 6cm from the lens. You can get the same magnification in SuperMacro mode but your working distance is only about 1cm. You will get similar magnification (3.8cm object) and working distance with a +6 diopter land macro lens.

Hi guys
I'm using y Inon UWL 100 WideA lens with a Raynor tube and an adapter ring on land to achieve fisheye-like photography.
It works fine but for distortion, of course, but I am satisfied

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom