Using YS01 strobe for topside slave flash??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divezilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi
I've a YS01 and would like to use it as an extra slave flash when working on land.

Anyone know if this can be done? If so.. how do you trigger it?

Hi
I've a YS01 and would like to use it as an extra slave flash when working on land.

Anyone know if this can be done? If so.. how do you trigger it?
To state the obvious, it triggers the same way above water as it does underwater...

So this can be easily done. If you are using the same camera. You will need to ensure the strobe is compatible if you decide to use a different camera.

The ys-01 is an "optical slave" strobe that triggers whenever it "sees" appropriate light via its slave sensor.

When underwater it is common to use a fibre optic cable to direct light from your onboard camera flash to the strobes slave sensor. The fibre cable is not strictly necessary. It just makes things work better as it prevents false triggers caused by other camera flashes and generally ensures that the strobe sees the onboard flash (which may not happen in wide angle since there is nothing close enough to reflect the light from the onboard flash back to the slave sensor).

You can verify dry land operation with a quick test. Place your powered up strobe on a table facing your camera and take a picture of it using the onboard flash.

If camera to strobe distance is an issue, you can create your own longer fibre optic cables from TOSlink cables (you likely have to trim the ends a bit).

Some people warn against overheating the strobe since it will not have the cooling effect of the water. I have never had any issues after several hundred rapid test fires of my ys90 or ys100's, but YMMV.

Hi
Thanks for the info and confirmation.
I had tried it on land and didn't have much luck....
I just looked at it again and found the problem ..there was some blockage near the sensor.

Some quick tests indicate that it works fairly well if the ys01 is facing the camera or the subject is bright and can reflect light to the ys01.
It would be nice to have some sort of prism / light catcher/do-dad that would install into the trigger port of the flash to make it more sensitive.

I just happen to have a bunch of old fibre optic network cables at work. Will try them and the TOSlink as well.

Hi
Thanks for the info and confirmation.
I had tried it on land and didn't have much luck....
I just looked at it again and found the problem ..there was some blockage near the sensor.

Some quick tests indicate that it works fairly well if the ys01 is facing the camera or the subject is bright and can reflect light to the ys01.
It would be nice to have some sort of prism / light catcher/do-dad that would install into the trigger port of the flash to make it more sensitive.

I just happen to have a bunch of old fibre optic network cables at work. Will try them and the TOSlink as well.

I just tried it again and it works .. sort of.
The ys01 needs to be facing the camera and fairly close.
Seems like it needs a good strong flash to trigger it.

But I think I can work with it... there's some interesting diy fiber optic s
This all makes sense. That is why i mentioned that the fibre was not necessary, but could be a good idea. The general design of the ys 01 has the slave sensor "protected" and so means that you may need a cable for reliable operation. The slave sensor may not be very sensitive either.

I am not sure that a "light collector" at the strobe end will be successful. Try a light collector at the camera end (or other land flash) and a long fibre cable. I used a dremel to grind down the ends of a TOSlink cable to fit the standard s&s connectors. Almost anything can be used to fashion a mount for the light collector to attach to / near the camera. yogurt tubs, old pill bottles, etc... google "diy snoots" for some inspiration.

My Ys90 works great without a cable. My ys110's are crap when optically triggered with or without a cable, so I use wire for them both above and below water.

Find someone who has an S2000 from Inon. They shipped with a very handy little mirror gizmo that attaches to the sensor.
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom