USN diver tanks, big about 80 or 90 cu. ft. with a welded plug in the bottom.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of these (“double-vented”tanks), originally set up as twins in USN. I believe I also have the bands and original yoke—although I broke them down to singles years ago. At one point they were scheduled to be drilled by a shop—but, were protected by the intervention of a court order and returned. We dove them uneventfully (in hydro), well into the 90s. Now, they’re somewhere in the garage along with the local and federal paperwork releasing and protecting them.

Thread is from 2014, he found his tanks

The dude made an interesting informative post lacklustre time machine gatepostkeeper

The dude made an interesting informative post lacklustre time machine gatepostkeeper
Thanks happy-diver. But I think I missed conveying the point; the original thread entries were fraught with “he said/she said” type bases for the well-meaning contributors’ trains of thought. And the phrase “against the law” appears many times in reference to the tanks in question. In fact there is no such “law.” In the U.S., such widely applicable “laws” are passed by Congress—which is way too busy for such legislation. The secondary/sub process involves “regulations” proposed and (without opposition) may be adopted by federal agencies. Such was the process used by the DOT (Department of Transportation) to regulate SCUBA tanks. However, at the time of our court case (and still, perhaps) an oversight in DOT’s regulation failed to “authorize” hydro agencies to “drill” or otherwise disable these particular tanks, and the court found in our favor. All of that aside: more broadly, “he said/she said” is a dangerous foundation on which to plan and execute a dive. Thanks again.

We have received a request to post documentation relating to our earlier USN tank posts. Assuming that scubaboard allows such postings (file size), we will do so soon. The docs will be redacted (out of respect for the hydro folks, and others involved), but will otherwise be essentially unaltered.

75375EAA-037A-495D-B9D7-A4D5C48690C4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom