USS John F Kennedy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgive my ignorance but can someone explain the issue regarding the secrecy of the hull of this carrier?

Forgive my ignorance but can someone explain the issue regarding the secrecy of the hull of this carrier?

I'm not sure of the hull of this carrier, but the Forrestal Hull was modified for testing of new designs for Nimitz class carriers and certain design features are classified.

The Forrestal is slated to be sunk, but sunk deep due to hull design characteristics.

The Kennedy was commissioned 13 years afterward the Forrrestal and might have some of the same design features incorporated into it. But at this point, that's just speculation by many.

I've got to agree with the above. with the fascination with President Kennedy, I doubt this will be allowed to be sunk

This just released in the news media

Tiger Woods has bought the USS John F Kennedy to use as his private yacht.

He can be seen here on his new yacht!

tiger-woods-yacht.jpg

Well, that should be safe. There aren't any fire hydrants or trees in the sea.

Well, that should be safe. There aren't any fire hydrants or trees in the sea.

but there might be wives swinging a golf club at your car because she's pissed off at you for cheating on her....

(I'm just saying.... I doubt that window was broken out "after the crash", but during the heat of the moment.)

ooohhhhhhh.......so THAT'S why he's been refusing to talk to the police, he didn't want them to see the hull of the 'fairway'. Now it all makes sense to me, thank you!

ooohhhhhhh.......so THAT'S why he's been refusing to talk to the police, he didn't want them to see the hull of the 'fairway'. Now it all makes sense to me, thank you!

well he was all bloodied up, busted lip/face, but no blood was found inside the car.

so I'm betting she was swinging the golf club still as he got out of the car.
I'm betting the "charges pending" were against her and not him.

They just don't want to talk to the police to perjury themselves....... they want this to go away and keep out the spotlight. (as it makes him less attractive to potential sponsors, etc).

(Btw.... if others want, we can move the Tiger Woods wife/crash discussion to another thread if we need to. Like here. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pub/313877-tiger-should-tell-those-crackers-kiss-off.html).

Last edited:

tiger-woods-yacht.jpg

Thats one helluva water hazard.

The Forrestal is slated to be sunk, but sunk deep due to hull design characteristics.

My office overlooks the Saratoga (CV-60) and Forrestal (CV-59) and it is sad to see them both rotting away. I had worked on the Saratoga in 1980 during an internship at the former Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. The latest report that I had seen concerning the Forrestal was to either scrap and recycle or to sink as an artificial reef. It sounds like the decision is one purely of cost as there is no mention in this report discussing a sensitivity with regards to the hull design. From the report,

Navy: Forrestal to be scrapped or sunk

By Andrew Scutro - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Jun 29, 2009 5:53:27 EDT

The famous aircraft carrier Forrestal will be cut up for scrap or sunk as an artificial reef, the Navy has determined.

“Right now, the two disposal options being considered are partial dismantling and recycling or full dismantling and recycling,” said Katie Roberts, a spokeswoman at Naval Sea System Command.

A partial dismantling would result in the hulk of the ship sunk as an artificial reef, as the carrier Oriskany was in 2006.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom