USS John F Kennedy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With JFK being assassinated and venerated beyond reason, I doubt that the ship named after him will ever be reefed. It certainly won't meet the fate its sister ship USS America (CV-66) met. The America was bombed and torpedoed off North Carolina (in really deep water) in an effort by the USN to determine exactly what it takes to sink a carrier militarily. Of course, the result is rightly classified.

I wouldn't be surprised if someday CV-67 is made into a museum and permanantly docked somewhere on Cape Cod near Hyannis.

I would like to have it.
I will ask my wife if it is OK.
Any suggestions as to how I ought to frame the request letter to the Government if she says it would be OK?

Chug

Next time Obama has a state dinner maybe just walk in and ask him if you can have it.

N

Next time Obama has a state dinner maybe just walk in and ask him if you can have it.

N

Nahhhh.

Unlike those two pieces of garbage, I do not attend parties to which I am not invited.
It is called class. I may be a no account "Land-Scurveyor" but I have a few social graces.
Those two do not have any.
My mom (Alive) and grandmothers (Deceased), and great grandmothers ( Long Deceased) would rise up and switch my butt if I did something like that.

On the bright side, those two particularly vulgar idiots I must say, have done us a service in showing that it was possible to bluff your way into that particular function through the security.
It kinda' reminds me of Eddie Murphy in the beverly Hills Cop movies.

I formally apologize for the loss of focus on the possibility of a JFK reef.
Thread hijack abandoned....

Chug

Massachusetts already has the Battleship USS Massachusetts BB-59 , the destroyer USS Joseph P Kennedy Jr. DD-850 (named for JFK's older brother and the one marked to be President by Joe Kennedy Sr. JFK's father), the submarine USS Lionfish SS-298, and an old East German Missile boat Hiddensee at Fall River on the South Shore.

Battleship Cove, the world's largest historic naval ship exhibit.

There is also the USS Salem, CA -139, which is a heavy cruiser with semi-automatic 8" guns (10 rounds per gun per minute) up near Boston.

USNSM USS Salem CA-139

So, Mass is full and could not support another ship, let alone a CV.

So, if some other city doesn't take her, and I don't think any will the costs are just too high, in about 10 years or so the NAVY will find some excuse to use her for a SINKEX and take her off shore into deep water as a target. Get out beyond 24 miles and cover her with a defense priority and you don't need to spend any funds on cleaning or scraping.

I spoke with my wife about the possiblity of acquiring the boat.
She said that if I promised to keep my half of the bedroom picked up and organized, and cleaned out the garage, she would "think about it".
How much time do I have?

Chug

I asked my wife. She said if I want it, it better have enough room on board for me to sleep there from now on.

DC

I asked my wife. She said if I want it, it better have enough room on board for me to sleep there from now on.

DC

I think you're covered. You might even have enough room to invite a few friends.

And then there would be a steady drain of cash to keep it afloat as a museum.

what? you don't think that the Democrats up there can't bleed away some tax money for this? :rofl3:

call it a "stimulus package" or whatever you want. :rofl3:

Plus the potential security issues with the hull would still be ever present requring security pretty much 24-7. And preventing access by divers in a public harbor would be difficult. The most cost effective option in terms of long term security would be to essentially dry dock it in a coffer dam and then fill it in with sand. And that is something of a less than glorious fate for a ship.

Actually.... that's been done before.

Not really for security reasons, but for Hurricane reasons. (and to keep the Navy from repossessing the ship back into active duty.

The USS Alabama (battleship) is moored in Mobile Bay as a museum. Hurricanes down there are a fact of life. A dam was built around the ship and filled with fill material (sand, rock, mud, etc). It's all below the waterline so you can't see it. (Mobile bay water is not clear).

Then they pumped the lower decks of the ship with sand to sink it into the sand heavy. This was to keep it in place in the event of a hurricane, but if we ever went back to war after it was put in a museum, then they were worried about it being called back into service. Bottom decks filled with sand make that harder to do.

this could be done for any of these museums, with enough funding to do it.

I did not list the USS Constitution docked in Boston Harbor in the above list as she is a fully commissioned ship of the US NAVY.

Old Ironsides: USS Constitution Museum, Charlestown, Massachusetts
I have not seen the Gearing class DD-850, but Boston harbor has the DD-793 Cassin Young.

It is a slightly earlier Fletcher class destroyer but has the post WWII tripod mast to carry the larger antennas that were needed for late WWII and cold war radar picket boats.

The Gearing class was a longer ranged lenghtened version of the Sumner class destroyer that in turn was a modification of the Fletcher class incorporting 3 twin 5" mounts rather than 5 single 5" mounts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom