USVI vs. BVI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedVIZ

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
USVI versus BVI - Which has more to offer, both above and below sea level? Thanks.

LimitedVIZ:
USVI versus BVI - Which has more to offer, both above and below sea level? Thanks.

I've been to USVI (St John) 3 times :) Diving is OK, most of the island is a National Park... So top side has a lot of hiking, etc. Night life seemed good, but at my age, not the top of my priorities :wink:

If you choose the USVI, try to make a trip to the RMS Rhone in the BVI's... Nice wreck. It was the boat they used in the movie "The Deep" with Nick Nolti (sp?).

I don't think you can go wrong with either destenation...

dear limitedvis,
i recommend the bvi's.
3 times we have chartered a private crewed yacht down there.
this is not as expensive as you may think.
we use regency as our broker.
http://www.regencyvacations.com/
it is wonderful to be relaxing on your yacht watching the islands go by.
contact regency and i'm sure they can help you find the perfect yacht.
the diving and snorkling is very good in the bvi's.
the people are very warm hearted and treat you as their guest.
chartering a private crewed yacht in the bvi's is truly a unique experience.
regards,
smokey

smokey braden:
dear limitedvis,
i recommend the bvi's.
3 times we have chartered a private crewed yacht down there.
this is not as expensive as you may think.
we use regency as our broker.
http://www.regencyvacations.com/
it is wonderful to be relaxing on your yacht watching the islands go by.
contact regency and i'm sure they can help you find the perfect yacht.
the diving and snorkling is very good in the bvi's.
the people are very warm hearted and treat you as their guest.
chartering a private crewed yacht in the bvi's is truly a unique experience.
regards,
smokey
Don't forget the Cuan Law http://www.cuanlaw.com/

Ralph

rblackburn:
If you choose the USVI, try to make a trip to the RMS Rhone in the BVI's... Nice wreck. It was the boat they used in the movie "The Deep" with Nick Nolti (sp?).

Nick Nolte was in The Deep ? For some reason the only thing I can remember about that movie was Jacklyn Bissett.

ronrosa:
Nick Nolte was in The Deep ? For some reason the only thing I can remember about that movie was Jacklyn Bissett.

LOL... I deserved that :D I just went to IMDB to see who else was in this movie... Must confess... I saw it 20+ years ago and not since...

Limited,

I also would recommend the BVI's for diving (although the shopping in St Thomas, USVI [watches, electronics etc] is great). The BVI's are more laid back and the USVI is a little more fast paced in general.There are ferries that run all the time between the USVI and BVI, so you can go from one to the other. I used to instruct in the BVI and can recommend good places to dive based on what you want to do (if you don't do the liveaboard thing). As mentioned before, the RMS Rhone is a cool dive, but can get a little choppy in the afternoon. I am actually going down to the BVI next Thursday for some sailing and diving.

David

rblackburn:
LOL... I deserved that :D I just went to IMDB to see who else was in this movie... Must confess... I saw it 20+ years ago and not since...

LimitedVIZ:

The BVI has been one of my favorite destinations... my wife and I split our vacation between Tortola and Virgin Gorda a few years back. From all the research I did, it's much quieter, less developed and friendlier than the USVI.

The diving's all relatively shallow and easy, and the boat rides are short. The Rhone is fun, of course. Watch "The Deep" just before your trip to add to the excitement.

Pick up this book before you go:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_3/103-1642764-1103043?v=glance&s=books

We found it to be essential reading.

Have a painkiller at Pussers. Hike and snorkel the Baths at Virgin Gorda. Have a hot dog and Pina Colada at Mad Dogs on VG and watch all the lizards. Rent a jeep and travel the hills on Tortola... just remember to stay on the left and honk around corners.

On VG, rent a little motor boat on the north end of the island. They'll give you a map to all the unihabited islands, guiding you through the shallow reefs. That was one of the best days I've had.... just motoring around, pulling up to a deserted beach, snorkeling to find rays and barracudas, etc.

I've traveled extensively and found BVI to be one of my fondest memories. Email me if you'd like more info, and have fun wherever you decide to go!

Tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom