Utah Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CCTX50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am going to be in Salt Lake City, Utah from August 13-19. I am curious what kind of diving is available if any in SLC or near by that I could get a few dives in at. Any ideas??? :idk:

Closest to SLC would be to the west at a commercial operation called SeaBaseabout 45 minutes away. Saltwater, fishies and limited vis.
To the east about 45 minutes is another commercial site, Homestead Crater. Ninety five degree water with fake features. Both are "onezy" dives. IMO
Further west about 2 hours is Blue Lake which would require a 3mm suit this time of year and a gallon of DEET to ward off the horse flies.
Two 'good' locations that are about 2-3 hours are Bear Lake, where there are volcanic rock formations and a sunken boat. Recently a number of 1930ish vehicles were discoverd, but a boat would be highly recommended since a surface swim would put in some high traffic areas.
Flamming Gorge is a bit further but well worth it for the weekend IMO. Slot crevices, deep wall, rock formations, big and little fishies and for more fun you can drift dive the Green River.
Tony Grove (2 hr) is pretty fun with some rock walls.
Strawberry (2hr) is fun if all you want is a crawdad fry.

Thanks for the intel.

Ok, tell me about Fish Lake, I'm in Park City for the next 2 weeks with my dive gear and I'd like to dive there.

Ok, tell me about Fish Lake, I'm in Park City for the next 2 weeks with my dive gear and I'd like to dive there.
Fish Lake is one of the better locations around the area. It sits at about 9600 feet with a pass just over 10,000 and it is one of the clearer lakes around.
Along the west side there is a 'grassy' barrier that runs along most of the west side. Once over it or through it you're in about 20' of water. Lots of fish like to hang out along this side. Bottom is rocky and then turns to silt. I tend to dive the north or south ends anymore. Just south of the lodge used to be pretty good where the stream enters the lake, not sure if they let you in there anymore since you have to drive between the lake and the lodge.

Some of my best dives have been on the east side along the lava rock 'wall'. You either need a boat or a quad to get there and it is the deepest part of the lake.

Fishing is very popular there so a flag is a must.

One of the local stores is having a spearfishing competition this weekend there if you're interested.

From Park City plan on a 3 1/2 hour drive.

Thanks, Scott, it was worth the drive! The setting is pretty spectacular and there were lots of fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom