Utila--Discounts for 30+ dive packages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My brother and I are looking to go to Utila for 11 days, and dive 3 times a day at least. We're not sure whether to go all-inclusive and pro-rate it further out to 11 days or to get accommodations and do the dives separately.

My question is this-- how much would 30 fun dives cost (for each of us)? i see that 10 dives usually go for $200-250, are there 30-dive packages for my brother and I that would make it a bit cheaper? i'm not exactly flush with a LOT of cash...

And do the A/I resorts like Mango Inn/UDC, Deep Blue, etc extend their packages if you are staying longer than a week but less than two weeks?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

isaac

that 10 dives usually go for $200-250, are there 30-dive packages for my brother and I that would make it a bit cheaper?

I have never had a dive operator turn down my discount request for 20 more dives over and above their stated "Big 10 Dive Package".

Go shopping. Money talks.

But an AI will, by definition, will almost always be cheaper...if you are doing more than 2 dives a day.

There are other considerations to take into account, as well. A day-dive op may offer three one-tank boat trips in a day, but it may be a flat-out run to make all three. Eating lunch might be a real hustle. At an AI, you will easily get 3 or 4 in a day and get chow.

Besides the Lunch issue, sometimes it's just easier and cheaper to get your meals included (at least breakfast and lunch) versus chasing around after groceries and cooking.

It's your vacation- depends on what you want with it !

You didn't mention what time frame you're looking at for travel? During low season, I can't imagine any operator not trying to work with you for an extended package. High season will of course be a bit less flexible.

Most dive shops on the island run 2 tank dives in the morning & 2 tanks in the afternoon. They generally run about $27.50ea retail, and $25-$20ea for multi-dive packages. Doc is right on the lunch issue if you're trying to make both the morning & afternoon boats. There's generally about 1-1.5 hrs between the am boats return, and the pm boats departure. It's doable, just plan accordingly.

Most AI's run 3 dives a day, 2 in the am, 1 in the afternoon or evening depending on their schedule. Lunch is a little easier because it's set up around the boat's schedule etc. I don't know any of the AI's who don't take packages over 7nts, but during high season we all do sometimes get sort of stuck into the 7nt thing just because of group bookings already blocking rooms Sat-Sat.

Find the operator of your choice & contact them. If they don't seem willing to work with you (some use a contract booking office that may not be free to negotiate), try contacting the operator direct. As I said, if it's low season, I can't imagine any of them not willing to at least try to earn your business.

It all really depends what you want...

I would be very surprised if any of the dive operators on Utila would not be prepared to offer some discount for 60 dives.

For the AIs have a look at their websites and email for the deal you like the sound of the best.

When looking at Utila AIs you might want to check out where they are and if the town is accessible. Some of the AIs are isolated which can be really nice if you want very quiet & peaceful, but they have only boat access to the town. If you want to be able to visit the town whenever you like during the evenings and afternoons then choose an AI in town. You should ask the same question for independently booked accommodation as well.

About the independents; they start for something like $250 per week for an apartment that will house 2 people and good quality A/C hotels start around $45 per night for a hotel room that sleeps two kitchenette, private bathroom, etc. This will get you a very good room on the waterfront. Check out Places to Stay - Resorts, Hotels, Apartments, Rooms in Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras for independent accommodations.

You can also check out Destination Utila | Utila Vacation Rental Properties & Management | DestinationUtila.com for vacation homes and apartments. Some of these it is possible to do shore dives from, some not.

You have the basic rates for 10 dives about right (ask about the islands Reef Fee included - a small environmental tax that goes to the island for reef protection, garbage collection, etc). Also be wary of cheaper dive packages - you should ask for information on north side diving, sea mounts, etc. Ask for pictures of boats before you make a reservation, and also about how long the divemasters have been working Utila, what level of DM service you can expect, etc.

If you want to get into the details of this email me directly and I'll let you know more.

Thanks so much for the quick responses! Good information, maybe an A/I seems like the better bet for north side diving. BTW, we'll be going from Sept. 26-Oct. 6, so low season, really excited to get down there.

We were just at Deep Blue in March - PM if you have questions about them...They're a 3 boat dives/day operation with a shore dive off their property also. The night dive days you're on your own after lunch. In a week at Deep Blue we went to the north side 2 or 3 mornings. But we were also looking for whalesharks. Once to Duppy Waters and once to the Pinnacles. And maybe one other time - or we doubled on Blackish Point. Although one of the best dives was Black Hills on the south side just a little outside of town. Deep Blue is also one of those "boat access to town" sites mentioned above. I think they go there one afternoon and one evening at no cost. Laguna Beach would be similar as they're next door to Deep Blue - both are on the other side of the lagoon channel.

Deep Blue's owner Steve Fox is on here just about daily.
ScubaBoard - View Profile: DeepBlueDivers
You might see what he can do about adding 4 days to the back of your trip.

Laguna Beach also does add-on days. As does Utila Lodge in town.

Utopia Village also does daily add-ons. But there's that whole not exactly flush with a LOT of cash... thing...lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom