Utila Dive Center + Utila as a whole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my home is on the south western end of utila about 500 yards across the water from diamond cay and i often kayak out to water cay which is still uninhabited. the other cays all have one home on them, sandy cay and little cay can be rented (you get your very own desert island and house) from the jackson family who own them

When WAS Utila "a party island"? I did my time on Utila 13 years ago, and despite there being a lot of young backpackers, I didn't perceive it as being like those places in Thailand. Utila seemed to be all about the diving, and my recollection was that although people liked to have a beer in the evening, there was little partying that went on into the wee hours because everyone was going diving the next day. Pretty much everyone I met was either taking a course or teaching. There were a couple of lively places--most not in the heart of town--but even then, they were not hopping every night of the week (or even open every night of the week). So, I guess it was the "still" in your question that caught my attention. A question for the old-timers: just when WAS Utila such a party island? Was it before my time there? From what I understand, they didn't even have 24-hour electricity until shortly before then. I have read about this party reputation many times, but it doesn't jibe with what I experienced.

I can't speak to the tec program, which may not even have been underway when I was there, but Andy Phillips sure has been there a long time. UDC seemed as professional as could be to me. They must be doing something right.

there are multiple places that stay open until 1-2am nowadays and they are busy but there has always been one or two places that partied late into the night. although the nitrous oxide parties that went on for years at bar in the bush have now been banned. I've been visiting or living on Utila for 18 years and those nitrous parties were happening 13 years ago, did you miss them?

there are multiple places that stay open until 1-2am nowadays and they are busy but there has always been one or two places that partied late into the night. although the nitrous oxide parties that went on for years at bar in the bush have now been banned. I've been visiting or living on Utila for 18 years and those nitrous parties were happening 13 years ago, did you miss them?

I vaguely remember Bar In the Bush, but I guess I and the people I hung out with, all there either on the teaching or learning side of dive instruction, must have left around midnight-ish--perhaps before the nitrous oxide started flowing. There were also rumors of hallucinogenic mushrooms about, but again, nothing I ever crossed paths with. I witnessed a few snorkel-tests among newly minted DMs. Good fun. Still, one or two places partying late into the night doesn't make it a "party island" like some places in Thailand. I could walk down the main street at 1 am most nights and, from the couple of places that were still open, not hear anything so loud as to inhibit someone staying next door from getting a good night's sleep. My favorite night was Trivia/Quiz Night at Bundu Cafe. But again, we all left "early." Maybe Utila Town has grown since I was there, but for years my response to people who had images of raucous drug and alcohol-fueld parties spilling out onto the street was that Utila's reputation greatly exceeded the reality.

Last edited:
it's definitely not like Thailand and having to get up early for diving does calm things down a bit. and the party scene is easy to avoid (I only go to town once a week to grocery shop, pay my electric bill and catch up with some expat friends for a drink or two) but when you get a bunch of young people together in a small town with cheap booze, they're bound to have fun.

Back
Top Bottom