Utila Dive Centre and Bay Islands College of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasully

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going SOMEWHERE for my DM this June (still haven't ruled out half the planet), but today I'm all about Honduras - Utila in particular.

Can anyone give me some feedback on these two places? I've looked at both websites, and both look great. I might go for the IDC since they are both CDCs- I'll decide on that later based on $$/time/how I'm thinking things are going. I don't really know what differentiates these two shops from the other.

Yes, if I pick Honduras, I could get there and check out both ops and see with whom I click better, but let's face it - half the fun of planning on where to do the DM is the countless wasted hours spent on Scubaboard doing searches on different ops all over this blue blue planet. So plese don't tell me to feel it out once I'm there. I want to feel it out here first. :wink: Of course I'll feel it out there, but let me enjoy the pre-DM journey.

(Papua New Guinea, Thailand, and Red Sea are all in the running. Oh and Hawaii. And Bali. Basically, I'm only ruling out the Lesser Antilles and Alaska (where I was and where I am). This is too much fun. I've got a few more weeks before I make my airline res.)

Thanks!:)

but today I'm all about Honduras - Utila in particular.

I can't speak about them all, and I didn't do my DM there, but you'd probably enjoy Utila. It is a fun place with young people, from all over the world, there to become DMs and Instructors. Good diving, whale sharks, and lots of nice folks. I don't know which school is best, but there are so many there that you can likely find one you like. I spent time with the Bay Island College folks, and they seemed very good.

I dove Utila a couple years ago and had a good time. Biggest problem was the sand fleas. Lots of DM wannabees hanging around exercising their youthful vigor and airhead personallities. If Thailand is anything like it was when I was there in the late 60's you'll have a good time along with the diving. Personally, I'd go back to Thailand.

Great to hear you're considering Utila, of course I'm a little bias as I live and work here, but having dived in many of the locations you're considering, I think Utila has a great combination, and the lifestyle is amazing. Just to let you know BICD haven't been a PADI CDC since 2006, not that it makes a big difference, as the standard of training on the island is very good at all dive operations.

All the best with whatever you decide, and as you say, part of the fun is in the research!

Go down to Utila and check it out, UDC and BICD can still train you to be an instructor as both are certified by PADI to do so... you can safely ignore the CDC moniker.

If you have the money, I would suggest doing your DM in an exotic place... Carribbean diving is boring compared to other places on the planet.

BTW, whats your major, anything scientific like biology, zoology ect?

Major? Ha! I've been out of college since 1991. I teach at one now.

Someone was telling me that some shop in Honduras offers free diving for life as part of the course. That's something to consider. Or maybe it was the IDC course? Anyone know?

UDC offers, or did offer diving for life last year... very clever ploy, as their boats are full most of the time!!!

Also, BICD is owned by the same people who run the Whale Shark & Oceanic Research Center, they need scientists from time to time. WSORC

JBBE is incorrect that UDC boats are full most of the time, only their dedicated Northside boats from January to April are busy and even then they have spaces for their Divemasters in training. Even if the 2 dedicated Northside boats are full, there are several other boats (in fact 3) that dive twice a day, and visit the Northside several times a week and allow all Divemasters in training free diving, and to good sites.

That is a fact and we can provide testimonials from past and current Divemasters in training with regards to this.

JBBE has a skewed distribution of negative postings as opposed to positive postings about dive operations in the Bay Islands. One only has to search out all his 88 postings and calculate the percentage of negative comments and postings to realize he has an agenda against certain operators.

Whilst no one can please all the people all the time UDC has an excellent and proven reputation in customer service and dive training and have proven their commitment to environmental conservation by sponsoring the only non-profit Honduran NGO on Utila, the Utila Centre for Marine Ecology, financially and with human resources and logistical support, boats, and diving equipment.

Last edited:
Someone was telling me that some shop in Honduras offers free diving for life as part of the course. That's something to consider. Or maybe it was the IDC course? Anyone know?

Hi there,

Just spent a month in Utilia over Christmas and have also done lots of diving in SE Asia. Utilia is young & tons of fun. UDC offers good training & great atmosphere. If you have the time, I think it's best to show up and make your decision once you have a chance to talk with the different shops. Keep in mind that not all shops offer the same quality of training.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom