Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also recommend Deep Blue..I can't imagine having a better stay. As Aeolus said, we didn't have to lift a finger unless we wanted to. My a/c was great..not too cold, but definitely cold enough. I was not bitten my any no-see-ums, or anything else. On the boat dives, Steve and the DM's made sure we saw all kinds of sea life, and my shore dive with Jasmine and another guest was absolutely wonderful. Internet access to check our emails kept me in touch with home. Food was great and plentiful. I would love to go back someday! Kathy

Another Deep Blue fan. Super people, excellent diving, good facilities, a really pleasant place to spend some time.

I would reccomend Deep Blue Utila. Especially if you liked Coco View. Having stayed at both myself I can compare the two. You will like the quiet and the setting of Deep Blue. I'm sure there is a lot to be said for some of the places in town, but you do have to contend with the noise from the motorcycles on the street and from the music at some of the bars at night. Compared to Deep Blue where you and your fellow guests are the only ones around.

Great place to stay. In fact I'm going to be there in Feb'06

I would absolutely recommend Deep Blue. My husband and I have now been there twice, we enjoyed our visit last year so much that we returned again this year and intend to make it a regular trip for us. The setting for Deep Blue is wonderful with rooms with private balcony overlooking the beach, the food is great and the rooms clean and comfortable and generally they cannot do enough to ensure that your stay is enjoyable. Steve and Jasmine are also very knowledgeable about the local aquatic life and are very happy to spend time with guests helping them identify what they saw, I only had to describe a fish I did not know and they were immediately able to tell me what it was and then show me in the fish books they have in the clubhouse.

I echo the sentiments on Deep Blue as well. I think one would be hard pressed to find a better dive op. The food was good, the company was great. I like a firm bed, so I was happy. On the AC, it was adequate after it was on for a while. The 1st night was a tad uncomfortable. It would help if the ACs were turned on a couple of hours before the guests arrive. After a hot travel day a cool room is a must! I bet if you requested it, they would do that for ya.

I can't wait to go back!

The Laguna Beach Hotel is very nice. The rooms are nice sized cabins with private docks. The diving was beautiful. The area lacks in large critters but that is my only complaint - besides the bugs - bring DEET.
If you want to read a "trip report" go www.kseapix.com and click on the "news" link.

Sasquatch:
I don't see much buzz for this place on the board but I had a great time at the Mango Inn. I've not been to Coco on Roatan as I stayed in West Bay for the week.

The Mango Inn is lush, close to the beach, secure, clean and has a great restaurant/bar under a giant mango tree. The pool was awesome and the rooms are air conditioned and clean. Oh, most importantly for me was it was very cost effective.

There ya go, depends on what degree of comfort you can afford but I was very happy and will be returning ASAP.

Dave

I am just wondering exactly what beach the Mango Inn is close to?

On the bug front, best I can tell it really is a dawn and dusk thing.
First week of August at Deep Blue I used zero bug spray/repellent. Three of us did a dusk shore dive, we all served as early dinner for the local skeeters/noseeums. (staff had warned us -- hmm, almost like the people who live there know the environment...)
Other than that, the entire week was a non-issue for me. Best I can tell the folks who really got into the various sprays ran into more insects -- either my thick-skinned Irish hide is not palatable, else the local critters have developed a taste for DEET.

("hmm, this one has no bug juice, maybe he's a local -- let's go for the exotic DEET-coated tourist")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom