UW Kinetics canister light rumors.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have owned four uk c-8's. Next will be an hid. I have one of my originals but now receipt so I had to repair it my self. There has been a design change in the last few years or maybe just a flaw in this light. At first it would seem like the switch was not making contact when in actuality, it was the battery contacts. They designed them flat. Yet, in the new lights they have a raised portion to make good solid contact. After a bit of work with my multimeter and some needle nose pliers, bang. Back in business. Not to under cut there market but I found a replacement bulb at less than one third the cost. I will have to find the box again if you are interested.

scubalifer:
There has been a design change in the last few years or maybe just a flaw in this light. At first it would seem like the switch was not making contact when in actuality, it was the battery contacts. They designed them flat. Yet, in the new lights they have a raised portion to make good solid contact.

Were you using rechargable batteries by any chance? I had a similar problem with a UK light, but found that on the rechargable batteries the... label? plastic coating? ...extended beyond the bottom corners of the battery, preventing contact. A little trimming of the batteries with a hobby knife and they work fine.

But I don't recommend this fix to anyone else, as you could cut into the battery and get a chemical burn and sue me.

I think I heard somewhere that UK had a "deal" with Duracell in the design of their lights. If you're on a trip and throw in something other than Duracell, then the light may not work. Could be that raised dimple thing. I'm no light expert, but a couple of mine went wacky on a trip and once I put duracells back in...they worked.

No kidding! I wish I would not have "fixed" the problem. Yes the stuff on the edge is the culprit. By bending the tabs so they make tight center contact. "I have made fire". I mean it works again. I generally use what ever battery is at the marina/dive shop when my light goes dead. I think now that it may have worked all this time with duracell. But on the flip side I don't have to worry what brand of battery I buy anymore. Good fyi here though. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom