UW-photography without strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just thought, that as I was getting that anyway, I might as well take it below with me.
Depends how much money you have.

Just the Ikelite case with a standard port for the 450D will cost you double what a Canon G9 AND the housing costs together. (around $1200 vs $600) So even if you have the 450D for topside already...it's still cheaper to get the Canon G9 exclusively for U/W. (or several other P&S choices), than it is to house the DSLR.

And then remember that many say...it's not IF you flood your camera, it's WHEN. Now in honesty I'm not sure how true that is - I've never flooded mine....BUT....many, many people do - and a digital camera is toast if that happens...probably the lens too. You can mitigate with insurance.....but still. In my case maybe I should better say...I've never flooded it YET! :D

Point well made!

I am slowly migrating towards having a 450D for normal photography and getting a dedicated UW-camera...

Maybe something like the Sealife DC600 or DC800

Thank you once again for all your help Kim

Hey everybody

I am slowly getting into the UW-photography craze. One of the things, that I want to experiment with is taking the pictures without strobes. This is partly based on a few articles, that I have read, but also inspired by some of the pictures I have seen here.

The thing that really tipped the scale and made me write this post was THE Hammerhead's amazing Sardine Run photos.

The question(s), that comes to mind, is how you guys actually do it?

My own instinct would be to do an initial white balance setting at depth, take the image in RAW and then do some post-dive color and light correction.

What techniques do you use?

No raw here(see pics in my sig)---sometimes white balance and the rest with canon's UW filter(fish icon), and run them thru Picasa/PS Element 5.0.....need a de-backscatter program and color addition for sure, sort of like cheating-- but...lol.....good luck...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom