UW setting on Canon Powershot G11?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi! Just wonder if the Canon Powershot G11 has a specific underwater setting or do you use the auto setting? I recently bought the camera and I haven't found any underwater setting, so I need a little help.

Thank you for your help.

The G11 has RAW capability, that is what you should use and then adjust your color in Photoshop or Canon DPP software.

Merry Christmas.

N

OK, so no specific underwater setting then? I better try and find the setting for the RAW format, because that's also new to me. The instructions were not that informative, but I guess I need to get that CD into the computer and read it. I was being lazy I guess:D.

Merry Christmas!

I don't know about the G11, but my G10 has two such settings. One is via the "scene" options, which I don't use as it only allows you to take JPEG pictures. The other is via the white balance control, and that does allow you to take RAW images. I use that setting underwater so that my JPEGs look better SOOF, but as Nemrod advises I then manipulate the RAW files in PS afterwards. I don't believe the underwater setting affects the RAW data anyway, though I'm not 100% about that.

If the G11 follows the same logic as the G10, have you noticed that to use RAW you have to make TWO settings? One is in the general menu enabling RAW, the other is in the quality menu where you select RAW.

Hi! Just wonder if the Canon Powershot G11 has a specific underwater setting or do you use the auto setting? I recently bought the camera and I haven't found any underwater setting, so I need a little help.

Thank you for your help.

The G11 has an underwater setting for white balance. Your G11 needs to be in PROGRAM mode, not AUTO mode to access this option.

In PROGRAM mode, click on the FUNC/SET button. Under the white balance options, there will be a picture of a fish - that is the underwater settings.

Personally, I do not use the underwater setting though. I use the custom setting, where I have the camera detect the white balance based on current conditions. This option is called EVALUATE WHITE BALANCE - CUSTOM1 (there is also a custom 2), it is the option to the right of the underwater setting. Select this, point your G11 to an object that is white in color (if one is around) then press the MENU key to have it determine the correct white balance for your current conditions.

When diving with my G11, I will have set and reset my white balance several times, depending on conditions. I find, using this method, gives me very accurate colors in my underwater pictures. If necessary, I still can correct my white balances in Photoshop afterwards.

OK, so no specific underwater setting then? I better try and find the setting for the RAW format, because that's also new to me. The instructions were not that informative, but I guess I need to get that CD into the computer and read it. I was being lazy I guess:D.

Merry Christmas!

The G11 has an underwater setting for white balances (see my prior post.) This setting is independent of whether you set your G11 to shoot in RAW or JPEG mode.

Thank you Peterbj7. I have to look into these settings. I have not used the RAW format yet, neither have I used it in my uw case underwater. I have just shot regular photos on land and tried different motives.

Having a trip coming up where I can dive and snorkel, I thought I should really start getting to know my new camera more to be able to use it better.

Thanks again for you quick replies.

OK, now I found the white balance and the underwater setting. It was a piece of cake:D thanks to you.

But where do I find the RAW format setting? How much memory does the RAW format take? I have a 2 GB and a 1 GB memorycard. Maybe I need to buy a 8 GB as well?

Sorry for all the questions.

Going to the Maldives for the first time in my life in a month and I do want to take a lot of pictures, especially uw both snorkeling and diving. If they turn out OK I might post a few here.

Thanks again!

Good info so far but i would add that you need to PRACTICE with the camera in it's housing after you "learn" it outside the housing. While RAW is all most of us use who work w/ Photoshop you might also "practice" with this file type before you shoot a whole trip with it. Reason being it makes for very large files (16-18mb?) and you'll probably want some 8 or 16gb SDHC cards for a trip plus RAW files are unique and not universally opened by any old software.

If you don't use PShop the Canon browser software can of course open RAW files but it's a bit on the "klunky" side for me. A great compromise, if you don't already run PShop and can't afford it, is Adobe's Lightroom. Sure, for snorkeling you can shoot jpegs and use the UW setting as described above but when diving RAW will allow for a significant amount of image correction that jpegs won't. (And not just color balance but brightness, contrast etc.) RAW is no magic cure for poor technique but as you get used to the camera and get better exposures you'll appreciate RAW's ability to allow for much better tweaking than jpegs.

Well, don't pile up too much new stuff before using your setup UW--starting in Program and using the "fakey fish" setting (it's what the icon symbol for this mode looks like) should get you reasonable results. What's great is that as you get used to using the setup and want to get even better results the camera will continue to deliver if you learn how to make it. Hmmm, I don't suppose Santa left an UW strobe in your stocking, eh? :eyebrow: // ww

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom