UW setting on Canon Powershot G11?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great advices! Really appreciate it and I guess it will be sufficient with the jpeg while snorkeling. But I do want to test RAW format at least once when diving or snorkeling, just to see how it works.

I do have photoshop elements but am fairly new to that too. Have just started to use it. I did have a Canon Powershot A720 IS before I got this G11 so I'm at least familiar with diving and using an uw case and taking photos. I mean as used to as you can be after 47 dives (still a newbie, but I didn't start to take photos until my 18th dive).

Well, unfortunately Santa didn't bring me a strobe, but I would love to have one:D. Maybe next year.

Enjoy Christmas!

There is an underwater setting on your white balance choices. It will not give you better results than calibrating your own white balance under custom white balance when shooting JPG.

Using RAW for your underwater photos, especially non-strobe ones is the best choice since you will adjust the white balance in your post processing. I use the Canon DPP software that came with the camera to adjust the white balance then convert the file to JPG then finish my processing in Photoshop only because I am use to PS and it's faster than DPP.

When you use RAW it doesn't really matter what white balance setting you use since you will adjust it later. So having to pick one I use Underwater for non-strobe shots and Auto for strobe shots.

IMO there is no substitute for shooting RAW underwater. You can save your strobe and non-strobe settings in your two custom settings making it easy to switch back and forth.

I have a sample of processing RAW files in Canon DPP on MY WEBSITE if you are interested.

Thank you Gilligan! I will definitely check your website to get more help.

Can you tell me where I change to RAW format on the camera?

I can't believe how great you guys are helping me. And here I was thinking everyone was celebrating Christmas:D.

Maggy, not to be a grinch but did you get an owners manual? I'd urge you to "practice" with it too, since you may not get SB answers in the Maldives the moment you need them (like just before the best dive of the trip!). As stated previously, setting RAW is a 2 step process using the Menu button as well as the Func/Set button. Since I shoot a G10 I don't want to say something that might not apply on a G11 but something that applies to all cameras is the notion of having it in your hands then playing with it so you can learn it when you aren't faced with "the shot of a lifetime".

Get used to prowling the owner's manual as you are playing (and hey, NO ONE loves to read manuals!). You'll find out not only how to make specific settings but will discover "hidden things" the camera can do. Also many settings on these cameras only work in certain exposure modes. There is an extensive chart listing what functions work/don't work in each exposure mode. I know my G10 real well but I always bring the manual along "just in case". Seems like every dive trip I'm glad I brought it! // ww
ps--Guess this is how some of us celebrate Christmas!

you might want to check out the canon powershot g11 digital field guide. its a great book, giving some excellent insight on the functions and uses. I actually bought it cause i went from the g11 to the g12 so the functions are basically the same with one additon.

On memory cards, I would get one or two class 6 or 10 cards with capacities of 16 or 32 gb. Transcend gives good performance at a low price. You probably don't need a spare battery as battery life on these cameras is very good, but they're cheap and it wouldn't hurt.

And if I were you I'd start using RAW for all your photos. Get familiar with it and what you can do with it.

Once you're there, don't fall into the trap of keeping your camera in your air conditioned bedroom at night, as not only will you have condensation problems each morning but you may do permanent internal damage. Either keep it somewhere that isn't A/C (best) or wrap it in numerous layers of soft material and keep it inside a zipped fabric bag. That's both camera and housing - and spare battery if you intend to use it.

It does-----it looks like 'a fish' in (1)the Scene(SCN) mode OR (2) Av mode, scroll down to AWB then scroll across it till you find 'the fish' symbol again......

Last edited:
Sounds the same as the G10. Remember that all options under "scene" block the use of RAW.

And don't forget that as well as selecting RAW on the "AWB" menu you need to go to one of the other menus (I forget which) to enable RAW in the first place.

Again thank you all!

I got a really thin manual with the camera, just showing a few basics. But there was a CD that I need to study. Agree with you, that I was kind of lazy and I do hate manuals:D. Also need to play with the camera more.

The condensation problem I noticed in St John in November. It took five minutes before the camera was clear again. Unfortunately the hurricane Tomas (or a broken tail of it) decided to visit us so I didn't get to dive at all (it was not a dedicated dive trip anyway) and the few times I snorkeled the visibility was so bad that I didn't bother to take the camera. So this trip will be my first taking the camera under water.

So, is it better to store the camera in the bathroom, which is semi openened (outdoors) and not airconditioned? I won't bring my laptop on the trip, so I better study the CD before we go.

It also looks like I need some more memory card. I already have a spare battery and I have noticed they last really long time.

Yes. Get a fabric bag you can keep it in (like a padded camera bag) to protect it from direct contact with the atmosphere. The climate here (Belize) is highly hostile and this sort of treatment is absolutely essential here - may be true to a degree in most tropical places.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom