Uwatec Aladin Air X

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave M

Reaction score
After lots of careful consideration of the different types of dive computers available I eventually decided to buy an "Uwatec Aladin Air X Nitrox" dive computer for the equivalent price of a good dive holiday.

The reason for my choice was because I was after certain features on a computer that included:- air integration (where the display would clearly show my remaining air via an electronic transmitter on my dive bottle), adjustable Nitrox limits and something that wasn’t going to be to bulky on the end of my arm. Etc, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Unfortunately, Aladin have a little secret up their sleeve that caught me completely by surprise. All of the alarm set points on the computer can only be adjusted with their own specific software program through a IBM computer interface, which they are happy for you to buy for an additional £100 (this is on top of the £450 paid for the computer in the first place). Now whenever I dive with my beautiful new computer I get alarms if I move a few inches up or down, a continual alarm when my tank drops below 60 bar, high breathing rate alarm even if I cough and a whole amount of dive buddies that think I’m having some sort of massive convulsion due to the noise I’m admitting during a dive.

Not to be out done by Uwatec, I searched the web until I found a useful site that suggested building your own interface - Hooray my problems would be solved.

Considering that I have dabbled in electronics before I was hooked and bought all the necessary components required and constructed my very own interface (£15). Still problems, you have to use a DOS based program to change the setting of the computer but this was advertised as a free download on the site I used for my electronic plans.

Once again I was headed off at the pass, It would appear Uwatec have become wise to this little loophole in their iron clad ripe off racket and removed the program from all the web sites that were advertising the "Datatalk for Dos" software.

The conclusion is I now have a dive computer that I can’t dive with, a electronic interface that doesn’t interface and a nice colour bank statement highlighting the error of my choice.

To be fair to Uwatec their computer is good, but why are they so greedy trying to get that little bit of additional money for something that only cost a them a fraction of the sales price to produce.

Any one interest in buying a water proof alarm clock with only a few logged dives on it!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same problem with the Air X, it beeped until everyone in the Red Sea took notice....

nontheless, the Air X is great. However, I spoke to my LDS, and they are happy to adjust my computer as often as I want. I went from metric to imperical and back, then got the same hassle with my wife's Air X Nitorx.

At some point, the LDS allowed to "borrow" the MemoMouse for a few days for using it at home. I must admit, it never worked on either my PC or notebook.

Yes you're right, £100 is too much to pay for an interface, and Uwatec are GREADY for doing so. But have a word with ur LDS, they can help you out!!!

Happy beeping :)

See, guys, this is what this site is intended for--at least that is my opinion! So, I have a favor (translation: favour)to ask of you: keep an eye on this Forum. Even if you are not interested in buying another computer.

That way when someone else is considering a purchase, they can get the benefit of your experience. Please.

As my some of my friends(?) on this Board know,I have been looking for a new computer and I was looking seriously at the Cobra. Well, despite all the catalog reading and all the salesperson listening, I did not once hear about the difference between my current (Matrix) computer's N2 loading section and the Cobra's similar looking section. There is a big difference. Warhammer (don't get a big head WH) and Rick M.(Murchison is too hard to spell) both told me about this difference and about the alarms that went bang in the night. Big, big help!

Good thread, guys!

Joewr

I have the same computer in the Air only version and I love it. I have also been frustrated with the annoying beeping, but like the last poster, I was able to take it to my LDS that sold me the unit and they have always been helpful in "deprogramming" the unit for me. I usually call in advance because not everyone in the shop knows how to use the interface and software, but I have never had to wait long.
I had to send my console unit in to Uwatec for a warrantee replacement a few months back and I requested that they back all of the alarms to the lowest setting before sending me my replacement. I have been very happy with my computer.

Good luck.

For you non-movie-goers that is a quote from "A Few Good Men" and I thought I ought to make myself clear.

I was not making a comment on the goodness or badness of the computer in question--I have no idea about that. I was only trying to point our that divers' personal experiences are sometimes more valuable than brochures or sales pitches. And there are a lot of us on this Board from all around the globe--a much bigger and more diverse bunch than most of us have available around the cracker barrel at home. There is probably no piece of equipment, no dive site in existance that has evaded at least one person who peeks in here.

Those experiences help others to ask the right questions, look in the right corners, etc. So, please, those of you who own the computer in question: do not think this is a personal attack on your choice. It is just someone else's experience.

And there is one hell of a lot of room in this wonderful world for choice! You don't like a Henderson and prefer a Harvey, my goodness, go for it. Cressi is not your cup of tea and the Mares is great for you, go for it. But, by all means share your experiences with the rest of us and maybe we will be civil--except for me, of course--I will distort your name a little--just ask "the original BLT(not the sandwich)"!

Joewr (trying to get a part-time job as a peace maker--hey, the travel percs are great!)

I too have the Aladin Air X Nitrox complete with beeping which seems to keep my fellow divers amused (normally 'cause they turn round to see me making obscene gestures at it!) - I have since changed the settings but not dived with it yet!

I used to have the Aladin Pro before (well still do for backup) and have been using the memo mouse and software for about 50 dives now ( I'm only on about 140 in total ) and find it an invaluable tool. Yes it's GBP100 (ish) but being the gas guzzler I am and wanting to go the tech route it is great with the air integration for helping me assess my gas consumption at depth - with the added benefit that you can tweak the settings. The only problem I have with it is that you can't set it to a specific SAC for the warnings.

I am sure if you ask around in your clubs or LFDS you will find someone that has DataTalk and will be happy to make the adjustments for you.

Jonathan

I'd be amazed if your Local Uwatec dealer wouldn't turn your alarms off for you. I routinely do this for any customer who asks - it's called service.

Should have bought a COBRA :D

yeah saw that other post Ed and I will be watching very closely next time out to see what I get. I am normally not flying after diving so don't normally make a note of those numbers but I will be next week - regardless I always try and leave it 24hours plus.

BTW just tried looking at DataTalk and got an error - couldn't find data mouse which is bizarre as DataTrak works fine.......

Off to the uwatec web site now.........

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom