Uwatec Lawsuit Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep that flame shield on Scubatooth. I bought American (I believe) when I bought my old Oceanic Data Pro (Pelagic Instruments). I went through 9 of those pieces of junk. They kept replacing them and they kept failing, all for the same reason, a partially faded out display. Guess they found it a better (quieter) business practice to keep replacing them in lieu of recalling them, or better still, fixing the problem, which they never did. They eventually just came out with a newer model. :shades:

LP will not do anything.

You should have thought about what the lds said about no warrenty after you wasted two hours of the shops time on chosing the unit then went to LP and bought it. I hope some people learn from this mistake that a warrenty does matter!!!
S-pro even goes as far as to tell people this in rodale's, manuals, and their web site.

THAT'S KARMA FOR YOU

A voluntary recall is different from warranty. I did contact LP about my Smartcom and they said that Uwatec will exchange my Smartcom for a new unit. That's much more than what my local divestore would do since they still claimed that they know nothing of the recall. If you checked other posts more carefully, other people who bought from LP also called Uwatec directly and are now waiting for the returning box. Please check your fact before jumping on your highhorse and start spreading false rumor.

After all that! negativity

LP is no better than LDS = Both will leave you hanging with the manufacturer.
LDS might give you a loaner to use intermitenly = not worth the hassle.

Uwatec has made good by providing a temp solution (I dont care to discuss) and brand new replacements should be availible mid Aug.

By the way I personally liked the Smart Com I had. Worked fine until this recall occured. Still is the one the most advanced computers on the market.

=-)

Can someone explain what is LP and LDS..?

or is this a stupid question

Many

scubasean once bubbled...
... but I think its the mindset of the people. :)
SP does the responsible thing recalling those computers affected. That's probably a whole lot of units, which will take some time to get them back to the customers.

So what's your problem, Negrats? Can't dive without a computer? That recall is made for people like YOU who trust their computers 100% and can't do without. Maybe time to dig out that old OW manual and do some reading.
Won't hurt. :rolleyes:

Remember that first recall/lawsuit, and the note regarding Rob Palmer's unit? He knew how to plan a dive, saw the discrepancy his computer gave him, and asked about it. The guy who got bend didn't.
I'm all for computers, but you gotta be able to dive without it. Plan your dive, dive your plan, and when your Smarts come back you ought to be able to check on them.

If my computer were recalled, I'd be SOL for a while, not because of the computer itself, but because I don't have another depth gauge and bottom timer. I can dive with tables and gauges, but not without a depth gauge and timer! And, if the computer is AI, that presents a whole other problem...no SPG!

I can understand a bit of frustration in that regard.

Soggy once bubbled...
...don't have another depth gauge and bottom timer....no SPG!
I asumed that people have some sort of a back-up in case their computers fail during the dive. That's why I used an Aqualand Duplex for years. Gives me depth and time, even has an ascend warning as well as max. time and/or depth. I have since switched to a DiveRite Nitec+ as a back-up ... .
Even AI with hoses can fail, as I found out on my 2nd dive with my old Uwatec Air cinsole. Flashing forth and back between highest possible display and what it actually was. Uwatec replaced it with a new unit within a week, and even downloaded and faxed me the memory content. Ever since a small SP pressure gauge is in my left BC pocket. :)
Maybe time to look for some (used, inexpensive) back-up instruments ... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom