Uwatec Smart Com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend had his O2 concentration set to 98% by the rock of the boat! He noticed around 60 feet... :D

That's highly unlikely. More likely the contacts somehow got bridged, the rocking of the boat did NOT change his setting.

I dived a SmartCom for a few years and hundreds of dives. Would I buy air integrated again? No, I find it highly unecessary, however, if you must have an air integrated computer this is not a bad choice. I found mine to be very rugged and reliable and have since passed it along to my girlfriend. I like the fact that everything you need is on one screen and you do not have to switch screens to view any info. The one constant beef you will here about them is they don't turn off wearing the batteries down, this has never happened to me, you have to store them in open air with nothing touching the contacts, no big deal.

You also mentioned you found a good deal, beware that if you do not purchase this computer from an authorized Scubapro dealer the batteries are not user changeable and very expensive. If you purchase from an authorized Scubapro dealer they will replace the batteries free for the life of the computer.

Weeeelllllll . . . . I have to support Steve_Dives. I put mine in my case with my mask, and the neoprene band cover was moist. The "rocking of the boat" did cause the contacts to bridge. I found myself at 40% O2 . . . . <hee> but I checked my settings before I jumped in . . . .

Weeeelllllll . . . . I have to support Steve_Dives. I put mine in my case with my mask, and the neoprene band cover was moist. The "rocking of the boat" did cause the contacts to bridge. I found myself at 40% O2 . . . . <hee> but I checked my settings before I jumped in . . . .

Still don't think I'd blame the boat rocking, never would have happened without the contacts being bridged.

I don't use no stinkin' computer.

:)

I still use the smart com and love it. O2 adjustable in 1% increments. and the no fly algorithm is based on tissue saturation and time rather than some arbitrary time limit. I also like the IR interface rather than a cord, since there is no port to fail and possibly leak.

On the negative side, the quick disconnect hose will require new O rings at the least opportune moment. also the contacts don't always respond when wet, there have been times when I needed to dry the console off in order to change O2 % between dives.

There was a recall a few years back. if you can check the serial number against this http://www.scubapro.com/media/489504/smartrecall.pdf

Im a new diver and I am looking at buying the Uwatec Aladin Smart Com. I found a good price but Im not sure of all the pros and cons. Could any one tell me if i would be making a smart purchase

If you buy it new from an authorized dealer, it's a really cool computer and comes with free batteries (usually with free service included) for life, and when it's life is over Uwatec will probably offer you a really sweet deal on whatever they're currently making.

If you buy it used or "gray market" (Leisurepro), there's no warranty and the battery replacement is about $400.

Terry

I have a smart com and a sol. I like both of them very much. I will recommend buying all uwatec computers from a dealer just because the batteries are so much to replace. I have replaced my smartcom's batteries 3 times in 5 years and dont dive with it that much.

Back
Top Bottom