Uwatec smart tec beeps too much

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did 9 dives last week with my Uwatec SmartTec hoseless. It's nice and works well - never had any problems with lost communications or the like. BUT, the dang thing beeps way too much, to the point where it's annoying to other divers and myself.

The main problem is the ascent rate alarm. I turned off all the others. It is so sensitive that I'm beeping when I pop over a reef or make a 90 degree turn out of a wreck or the like.

Does anybody know how / if you can turn that off? I get the 30 ft / min on the way to my safety stop, and I like that, but while I'm swimming at 60 ft, does it really matter if I exceed that rate for 6 - 8 ft?

If I can't turn it off, it's going to find itself on ebay in favor of something like my partner's cobra or the like.

thanks,
dave.

Do you wear it on your right wrist? Your left wrist is used to control the inflator and not where you want your computer since your hand is going up and down. Plus it is hard to watch the gauge and vent at the same time.

Why not just slow your ascents down? It does beep for a reason.

I thought you could turn all the alarms off?

I've dove with the smart tec probalby 10-15 times. I never had that issue. Since you are a new diver it may not be the computer's fault. Try slowing yourself down. Sounds like you are ascending too fast.

Good point on the left vs. right arm. I noticed I can shut it up by swinging my arm down, but it never occured to me I could be tripping it by raising my arm. Duh!

I don't have trouble on my regular ascents to the surface. It's pretty handy for that. I was taught "don't ascend faster than your bubbles", and the SmartTec seems quite a bit more conservative than that, but I guess that's a good thing.

It has been during terrain following along the bottom where it's gotten annoying. I can try to slow that down a bit too I guess.

I'm doing the Aggressor Turks & Caicos in December, which I think is mostly wall diving. That may be a good time to work with it & practice my depth control.

thanks,
dave.

I've been diving all summer with my smart pro with no problems. I do believe that you can turn that alarm off, but I'd try slowing down first. I think uwatec makes a great computer, but I am comparing that to a few Oceanic computers I have had and was not pleased with.

I wear my Smart Tec on my right wrist and the occasional beep when I raise my hand too fast isn't an issue. The ascent rate alarm is conservative but I don't see that as a bad thing.

Agreed, slow down!

You can change the settings on the computer, however, by using the PC interface (IR) and the SmartTrak software. I changed many settings on mine, mostly to reduce the annoyance factor of the stock warning settings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom