Uwatec SmartTrak download problems....solved!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevis Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was having a problem downloading my data from mu Aladin Pro.
The IR adapter MA-620 showed the transfer, recognized the Uwatec Aladin but no combination of speeds and distance from the IR reader had any effect. Contacted Scubapro/Uwatec and 48 hours later the problem was solved. See below:

SENT TO SCUBAPRO:
>I cannot get SmartTrak to read the Aladin Prime. It has worked in the past and started malfuntctioning two weeks ago.
>
>SmartTrak tries to read the computer, says, "No device" and then "Not connected with Uwatec dive computer"
>
>I have removed and reinstalled both the driver and the Smarttrak program.
>
>The driver and IR hardware show to be installed and operating correctly.
>
>I downloaded and installed the current version 1.0323 of SmartTrak.
>
>The IR device appears to communicate with the Aladin. The Alaldin has the IR icon showing in the dispaly and goes away and returns respective to being within range of the IR device.
>
>The IR icon in the sysem tray is active and says "Uwatec Aladin is in range".
>
>Smarttrak tries to read the Aladin and then for a split second showed connected (you have to look really fast) and then shows the message "Could not connect with Uwatec Aladin - retry". This is different than the message "Not connected with Uwatec dive computer" which indicates that there is no device connected.
>
>Now I never get the "Could not connect with Uwatec Aladin - retry", but only the message "Not connected with Uwatec dive computer".
>
>It is difficult for me to cal during your working hours as I am at work.
>
>
>Any ideas or suggestions?
>Let me know if you use MacAfee and we will go from there.
>Take care,
>Eric
>SCUBAPRO UWATEC
Yes. I have added McAfee Virus Protection. I used Symantec for years and
switched to Mcafee a couple of months ago. Last time I used Smarttrak was
when I had Norton. What's up?
Follow the instructions on this attachment.

Take care,
Eric
SCUBAPRO UWATEC
The email scan function of MacAfee virus protection blocks the communication from your dive computer to your PC. The instructions below will tell you how to circumvent the issue.

Hit “CTRL-ALT-Delete” on your keyboard. A menu will pop up; select the “Task Manager” tab. Then, from the “Task Manager” window, select the “Processes” tab.
Now look down the list of processes and find the one labeled “McVsescn.exe”. Click on this process and end it, ignoring the Windows warning about ending it.

Your SmartTrak should now work. Go directly to your SmartTrak program and attempt to download the dive computer. If it doesn’t work, try it a couple more times, experimenting with different positioning of the dive computer and IR reader. We found that getting dive computer within ½ inch of the reader works the best. If after a couple tries and it still doesn’t work- Contact 1-800-382-2211 SCUBAPRO UWATEC Tech Support Monday – Friday 8-5 Pacific Standard time. Please be sitting at your computer when you call.

Be advised, the Process you ended is the MacAfee virus scan for email and the PC should be re-booted prior to viewing email. Rebooting will bring back the Process and protect your PC from emailed viruses, but remember to end that Process each time prior to downloading your dive computer.

Happy downloading!

Tech Services
SCUBAPRO UWATEC

Well, this is just great - signed up this morning and already have found what should be the resolution to my problem!!eyebrow

I recently bought the Uwatec Smart Z computer, and could not, no matter what I did, get my notebook and the Smart Z to talk to each other. All my symptoms were as per the post above. So I'll give this a try - thanks for all the legwork!!

Cheers,

:D

G

OK - this is great. Went home last night armed with this information, and finally I've got my dives off the Smart Z and onto SmartTrak. :wink:

Thanks for the fix - the forum works!! eyebrow

Cheers,

G

GazMan:
OK - this is great. Went home last night armed with this information, and finally I've got my dives off the Smart Z and onto SmartTrak. :wink:

Thanks for the fix - the forum works!! eyebrow

Cheers,

G

Time to Hijack this thread.

I'm currently considering the smart Z as a replacement computer. I would like to know how you like it. Pro's/Con's. Is it easy to read? what ever you can add would be helpful.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Not sure how much help I can be - I've now done 4 dives with the Smart z, 2 of which were in a pool!! :D

BUT - I have graduated from the original Uwatec Aladin Pro (which IMHO is still a pretty damn good air-only computer - it's basid, rugged and does the job).

My main reason for the upgrade was that I was busy doing the PADI EANx speciality course, and wanted to dive on the nitrox-enabled 'brain' with tables as backup. I also wanted to lose a hose - although I'm considering keeping the SPG on as a redundant pressure meter (how's that for strange?). I looked around at most of the 'shiny things' - mostly online, and was going to go for the Aladin Tec, but the hoseless integration finally sold me on the Smart Z. I think the Aladin Tec is a good choice if you do NOT want the hoseless integration, and the potential failure of a transmitter (unlikely I feel if you take any kind of care of your kit...the manufacturer will not last long selling rubbish life-support equipment). Also, one of the guys I was diving with last weekend has the Uwatec Smart Com (?) - also air-integrated, but not hoseless. Seems a good choice too as a console-mounted computer.

I looked at the Smart Tec - too expensive, and I'm not a tec diver who needs to hot-swap gas blends for deco, staging etc. So that went out the window. I don't like the Suunto stuff - don't ask me why, it's just a personal thing. Too finiky, I feel.

My redundant depth meter / profiler is a Citizen HyperAqualand - a great piece of gear. I like simplicity. Another reason why I like the Uwatec - it switches itself on on submersion, and off again when you're on surface. So that removes one last thing to worry about!

As for ease of operation, I find the Smart Z great - just RTFM properly and you'll be fine. The guage itself is easy to read, and clearly laid out. The backlight is a bit of a pain - you have to press on the comp. housing to get it to illuminate, but I've found that a gentle thump in the general vicinity of the sub-dermal switch does the job just fine!! The replaceable screen is good too.

The customisation offered via the SmartTrak interface is pretty cool too, although not knowing about the little glitch with McAffee :11doh: meant that I did my first 2 'real' dives on the default settings, which were fine. :xeye:

I think the ability to set MicroBubble thresholds is pretty cool, although I will probably leave them set to Level 0 (default) for weekend diving - but I will set them to L2, I think, for an extended liveaboard holiday to the Red Sea when I do go - introduces just an added level of conservatism, but not too restrictive.

The unit itself is not too big. BUT the transmitter is really weird - it's huge, in my mind, to the extent that I can't get an LP hose into the port underneath it. Admittedly my 1st stage is pretty compact (it's an original Oceanic Delta!!) so I've had to introduce a 'T' swivel to house the BC and drysuit inflator hoses. Not an issue if you dive a wetsuit only. Communication between transmitter and computer seems to be fine - I have the computer on my right wrist, and the transmitter is on the left of the 1st satge (not the manual's recommended config) and have had no signal drop-out - so far :wink:

So far so good - I'm dead impressed with it, think it's well engineered and very flexible, and if you monitor it properly and don't go all gung-ho on your dives, you're unlikely to hurt yourself (NOTE: I am NOT saying the computer will prevent injury, DCI or death - that's up to you to manage!) The configurable alarms are good, too. The dive planner is way better than the old Aladin Pro.

I guess it feels a bit as though I've moved from having something that was used to pilot the Ark to something used to pilot the shuttle - I keep finding new bits to fiddle with. It really is easy to use, and I would buy it again.

HTH - anything specific, please yell.

Cheers,

G

G-

Thank you for the write up. very informative and just what I was hoping for. Looks like the Z will be very worth looking at. BTW If my 1st stage had 2 HP ports I would also be adding a redundant SPG. Can I ask what you paid for it?

edit- Being that your in scotland- I don't thing comparing pricing would make much any difference. but thank you for the information I really appreciate it.

Dave

I chose the Aladin Prime over the Smart Z because I had just started diving and had already spent >$1.5K on gear and felt I could live with the spg. I still feel that way but I know me and at some point I will upgrade. The biggest thing I like about the Primne over the Z is the buttons vs. having to wet the metal points to get anything done.

BTW, I have another problem with my MA-620 infrared device.

Hi all,

I can understand the relucatance to buy the Z when you've bought all the other bits :wink:

I would probably get lost with the buttons - I've used the contact method for 13 years now (ouch!) and am quite used to it. But each to their own.

I paid £568 for the Z - don't know what that is in US$. I see that you can get it with transmitter for £499 now - damn!!

I also have another problem - with SmartTrak. Have you tried to print from it, and managed to get the output to fill up tthe page instead of printing a dinky little page that needs a magnifying glass to read it? :05:

Cheers,

Gary

Gary-

What you said concerning the print size bothered me so I downloaded the software and printed up the demo dives. Your right, in letter format I can't read it so I tried it in landscape mode. Much better prinitng the dive profile.

Dave

FYI, it prints as you see it on the screen. You can drag the various splitters around to make parts bigger/maller on the screen and when printed.

Terry

DWJ:
Gary-

What you said concerning the print size bothered me so I downloaded the software and printed up the demo dives. Your right, in letter format I can't read it so I tried it in landscape mode. Much better prinitng the dive profile.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom