V Planner Deco Conservatism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll see the same thing if you read up on the ratio deco methodology.

Each bottle cuts that segment time in half.

I have a good friend whom I dive with who uses R/D exclusively.

Whenever we are on deco together at the 20 ft stop, he signals to me "what does your computer [DiveRite NiTek HE] say?"

And I signal back to him "the computer says XX minutes here."

After the dive, he always comments to the effect that R/D and my computer give virtually the same results.

I find that to be fascinating, and also a great confirmation for both.

I am not that heavy in Ratio Deco...it seems to only apply with standard Trimix gases, or at least that is what I have read about. Is there a good "ratio deco" for dummies out there. I have a technical background, but any discussions I have read focus on standard mixes to be an entry condition for successful ratio deco...which I know is not true.

oh yeah...for all those who have been waiting for this:

Only old women don't use the standard NAVY tables for their deco profiles and use these fancy computers...If you can't take the pain of getting bent...dont dive!

I have a good friend whom I dive with who uses R/D exclusively.

Whenever we are on deco together at the 20 ft stop, he signals to me "what does your computer [DiveRite NiTek HE] say?"

And I signal back to him "the computer says XX minutes here."

After the dive, he always comments to the effect that R/D and my computer give virtually the same results.

I find that to be fascinating, and also a great confirmation for both.

I dive RD. One of my buddies took a NiTek He along for one of our deco dives, and it about **** a brick, calling for TONS of shallow deco on top of what RD or V-planner called for (this was a shallow 120' dive, and RD basically had me clear after the 70' stop; the computer wanted over 15 minutes shallow). Wonder why you had such a different experience.

Would result in about 28 minutes of Deco even with a safety factor of nominal (zero).
This seems very long: NAVY Tables would have you do about 4 minutes of deco at 10 feet instead of the staggered stops from 70ft that would last over 26 minutes per the V Planner.

The Navy Tables were created by the Navy.

If you're 22 years old, in great shape, own a Navy and have a ship nearby staffed with 24 hour doctors and a recompression chamber, you too can use the Navy Tables. :D

Personally, I'll take vPlanner.

And if it throws in a bunch of deco, I'll say "thanks for watching out for me!" :D

Terry

Only old women don't use the standard NAVY tables for their deco profiles and use these fancy computers...If you can't take the pain of getting bent...dont dive!

There is a whole slew of people here that dives with them. None has chimed in yet. Odd thing.

I dive RD. One of my buddies took a NiTek He along for one of our deco dives, and it about **** a brick, calling for TONS of shallow deco on top of what RD or V-planner called for (this was a shallow 120' dive, and RD basically had me clear after the 70' stop; the computer wanted over 15 minutes shallow). Wonder why you had such a different experience.

No idea, but for our dives there is no way you can clear at 70. At 70 you would still have at least 20 mins of deco left by R/D. So I am guessing you were just doing petty stuff. Not sure why your Nitek HE varied so much. Probably should take it to the shop, if it disagreed with VPlanner by much.

Oh, it was definitely a screw around 30/30 dive. That's why we couldn't believe how much crazy deco it asked for. Seeing, though, as it's basically a straight Buhlmann algo, it's obviously NOT going to agree remotely with RD and all those deep stops!

One of my instructor's father says that back in the day, they used to dive until they couldn't stand it anymore and deco until it stopped hurting. :) That was back when men were men and helium was just for baloons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom