V-weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dimitris,

That's a great series of pictures!

Thanks for posting that....great first post.:wink:

-Mitch

i hate to be the one to ask a dumb question but here goes. i was wondering why you want the weight back there. i have dove doubles twice and they were horriably back heavy. i would think i would want any weight on the front to counter the rolling over on my back fealing. just a newbie asking questions. thanks

I'm using them to add weight to a couple of sets of aluminum 80's. I'm diving dry and wanted to more weight as a v-weight and less on my weight belt.

-Mitch

Are you mounting that V-weight on the back of your rig in the way you show in your picture? If so, I'm wondering how that might work with the bolts? You can't get a bite on the lead that is firm enough to lock down your tank bands, I would think. And if you do try it with a large washer (what you would need, I would think) then the center spine of the V-weight would need to flush on the center panel of the bands and the sides of the V-weight cannot at all touch the rounded side part of the bands not to mention the tanks.

If you flip the rig and mount the V-weight on the front (the most typical location for a V-weight--easy to install and better for trim), I wonder if there would be enough space between your BP spine/wing grommet (add the harness grommet on the top, if you are using that kind of harness) and the V-weight to allow the BP edges to lock down against your tanks? That looks like a mighty thick V-weight. Note: The bolt hole opening in the V-weight needs to be large enough to fit completely over the nut that locks down your tank bands.

I have a twin rig with two PST 1800psi 40cuft tanks. Little guys that are light as a feather and very positively buoyant. So I needed two V-weights (drysuit diving). Fortunately, my LDS carries nice 8 and 10 lb V-weights. I put a 10lb V-weight on the front, beneath the BP/wing--this rests perfectly in the space and there is no need for an extra nut to hold it in place. But this is only after I switched off an Oxy BP, which has a deep spine, for a DSS BP, which is much flatter. Only with the DSS plate could I lock down the BP edges against the tanks. The 8lb V-weight I put in the back, but beneath the back center panel (this allows you to lock down your bands as usual). The fit is almost perfect, after I shaved off ~1 pound of lead from the edges, so no need for an extra nut to hold it in place. So with the two V-weights I have 17lbs of weight. These tanks are ~6.84" in diameter and my bands are 8.5" C-to-C, so there is enough space beneath the back band to insert the V-weight (after quite a bit of shaving of the edges). That space on your rig is likely tighter.

I just melted 12 lbs. of lead and poured it into a form I made for a v-weight.
I figured I'd post some pictures.

I'll cut some material away and drill a couple of holes for the tank band bolts tomorrow.

**I just realized I have a thousand posts.....haha.

-Mitch

Last edited:
Hi Mahjong,

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't mean to ignore the thread, it just took me awhile to finish up the project. It's been good weather for motorcycling lately.:wink:

I finished up milling and drilling my v-weights. The original pictures were just some shots I took with them laying on the tanks, it just took me awhile to get around to finishing the drilling. I milled some flats on the back side of the weights to accomodate the bands. They are only needed of the 10, 11, and 15 lb. weights.

I'll be mounting the v-weights between the tanks and plate.
I use DSS rigs, there's room for the weights between the plate and tanks.

Here are the finished weights.

15lbs.-11lbs.-10lbs.-8lbs-and 7lbs.

I just guessed on each one while pouring the lead into the mold.
I wanted a couple of 7 lb. weights, and a couple of 11 lb. weights. Since these are the ones that are usually available for sale.

I took a bunch of extra lead and poured a lot of it for a big one. The 15 lb. one is what I ended up with.

Take care,
Mitch IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0176.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom