VA Beach, June 10th - "Tiger" w/ Lynnhaven Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobbyWombat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

I'm signed up with Lynnhaven Dive Center to dive the "Tiger" wreck off of Virginia Beach on Wednesday, June 10th. It will be my first time diving with Lynnhaven.

1. Anyone dove with them and/or on the Tiger? Thoughts, recommendations?

2. If anyone is interested in joining, I'd be happy to have the company.

cheers.

-BW

Welcome and glad to see you trying Virginia Wreck Diving!

Do you own your own gear yet, including at least a 7 mm wetsuit, hood and gloves?

Have you been boat diving on the east coast of the USA previously?

Post back. I'll help you prepare.

Andy

BTW, here's a sample of diving off Virginia Beach on the Lynnhaven Dive Center Boat, Ms. Lindsey:

Hi Drewski,

Yes, I think I'm in decent shape on gear. I have a 3mm full suit and a 7mm core warmer w/ hood and gloves. I've used this setup in low 60's-ish water and stayed warm enough....so I think I'm in good shape there.

I've done quarry diving (Rawlings) and shore diving (Red Sea), but never done a boat dive, never dove in the Atlantic.

Looking foward to it, but admittedly a bit apprehensive since it will be my first boat dive. I appreciate the help!

-BW

-BW

Hi ya, BW.

Well, first, I think you should plan on a 55 degree bottom temp on the Tiger in early June. Having dived the wreck more than 20 times, it don't get warm until August.

Second, use a pill for preventing sea sickness. I've had some unfortunate recent experience with this and the extra $2 is well worth it.

Third, try getting a buddy with experience. Someone to show you the ropes, if possible. An average day off Virginia Beach in June is 3 to 4 FT waves, which can be challenging if you never dived a boat before.

Fourth, get to boat one hour before the dive leaves. Check all your gear by setting it up and testing it the night before. Load it early, set it up and re-check it. Consider using a 36% nitrox mix. For two 60 FT dives, you can do up to 60 minutes of NDL bottom time and a 30 min surface interval without difficulty. Get your stuff straight so you don't have problems.

Fifth, think about using a wreck reel to get back to the anchor. underwater visibility will probably be 20 FT or less and the Tiger is a junk pile (a "round" and flat wreck). Orientation is difficult.

Hope this stuff helps...

Andy

BW,

Be sure to have a good time!!

Tiger lies in a Southwest to Northeast orientation but it is a large debris field and NOT an intact contiguous wreck. The highest point are the two boilers. Everything else on the wreck is debris and looks the same so it's easy to get disoriented. Andy's recommendation on the wreck reel is great advice (all of it is).

Also, talk with the DiveMaster before your dive. He'll be able to give you some real-time advice about the wreck, current, conditions, etc. If you ask the DM, he/she might put out a wreck reel along the wreck to make navigation a bit easier.

Safe Diving,
Will

I love that video.
Have fun on your trip, unfortunately I can't get a Wednesday off without taking a vacation day & that will only constitute a Mexicana or Chenago trip.

Drewski and Wil,

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I think one key will be hooking up with a buddy with experience, that doesn't mind showing a newbie the ropes. Hopefully it will work out that way.

I'll look at beefing up my thermal protection and think about the wreck reel.

Thanks again,

-BW

I agree with everyone...Be sure to have a reel.. I always get lost at the Tiger.

I dove with Lynnhaven last year on the Tiger. I had the unfortunate experience of not having a good dive. No fault of Lynnhaven though. Here are my reccomendations, some of which have already been stated:

1) Have an EXPERIENCED buddy the first time you dive. Let the DM choose a buddy for you. I thought my buddy was experienced but... It is a very new ballgame over here in VB. Swells can be big, viz can be poopy which can lead to disorientation.

2) Listen to the dive brief very carefully. Carolina rigging is used on the Ms. Lindsey. If you dont know what that is, look it up before you go. Not having a full understanding of it may lead to problems.

3) Do not under any circumstances come off the line. If you do, you will drift and when you surface....my that boat looks far away. The only thing around the wreck is sand. If you come off the line, you will not be able to find other divers or the wreck. Well at least I couldn't.

4) Dress warm. I used a 5mm suit and it was chilly. Water temps last year was 52 degrees in July. I think even if I used a 7mm I would be cold, but I am thin.

5) Stay within arms reach of your buddy. Easy to get lost.

6) Invest in a marker bouy, signal tube of some type. If for some reason you lose your line and drift, this will save you..well at least it saved me. Oh and know how to use it.

7) Prepare for alot of people on the boat.

The Lynnhaven staff are pretty nice people. They seem to be a pretty safe operation too. I got lectured at the end of the dive for all my misgivings but I needed that for sure. It made me a better diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom