Vaccinations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding typhoid vaccinations:

Don't be too sure. @Christi posted a warning about eating from the Cozumel food trucks that lack refrigeration when the weather is warm. Typhoid is caused by a strain of Salmonella, and while treatable, it's a 14-day course of antibiotics and feeling like crap.
Yeah, I don't patronize those. Too many great restaurants in town.

I have been going to Cozumel for almost 20 years and have never gotten any vaccinations for our trips. Planning on looking into Dengue vaccines for my next trip. I have had it twice. FWIW Don, we went to Egypt last year and did not get any special vaccines, we had a wonderful, happy and safe trip! Everyone in our group did the same!

The biggest challenge in getting a Dengue vaccination is qualifying for it in one of the few countries in which it's approved. In Mexico I meet the requirement of being a legal permanent resident in an endemic area, but not the age requirement.

The biggest challenge in getting Shingrix is locating it. My hospital can't get it, nor can Partners Healthcare (which includes Brigham & Women's and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute) in Boston.

The biggest challenge in getting Shingrix is locating it. My hospital can't get it, nor can Partners Healthcare (which includes Brigham & Women's and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute) in Boston.
Walgreens got it for me pretty quickly.

The biggest challenge in getting a Dengue vaccination is qualifying for it in one of the few countries in which it's approved. In Mexico I meet the requirement of being a legal permanent resident in an endemic area, but not the age requirement.
I read more about it. Sadly, I am way beyond the age requirement! I don’t imagine that will change if approved in the US. For now I will remain diligent with applying Deet and hope for the best.

Last year I got both rounds of the Shingrix and was kinda lucky in that I got the 2nd one a week past the 6 month time frame. Pharmacist said it shouldn't be a worry, but I was sweating it the last few weeks trying to find the 2nd dose. Lots of availability for the first dose, the second one seemed much more scarce. Our local pharmacies wouldn't give you the 2nd dose unless you got the first one from them. Sounds like that is still the case. Both my dad and my older brother got Shingles, so I hopped right on the new vaccine as quick as I could. Hope you can get the second dose easily! :)

Last year I got both rounds of the Shingrix and was kinda lucky in that I got the 2nd one a week past the 6 month time frame. Pharmacist said it shouldn't be a worry, but I was sweating it the last few weeks trying to find the 2nd dose. Lots of availability for the first dose, the second one seemed much more scarce. Our local pharmacies wouldn't give you the 2nd dose unless you got the first one from them. Sounds like that is still the case. Both my dad and my older brother got Shingles, so I hopped right on the new vaccine as quick as I could. Hope you can get the second dose easily! :)

You do NOT want shingles. It’s something I will wish on my worst enemy. I ended up with left leg weakness and needing 10 sessions of PT. Really interfered with my diving for a couple of months last year. I’m getting the (first) shot for my 50th b-day next month on doc’s orders.

Damn - I just learned something from you guys. I thought that since I had shingles already, I would be more or less immune. Turns out I'm not. I very much do not wish to re-experience those three weeks from hell. Guess I need to have a chat with my GP.
Back on topic, we took Dukoral a few times before heading down. It offers some protection against E coli as well as very good protection against Cholera (that's not a concern in Cozumel). It was free on my drug plan so I figured why not. We don't bother anymore. We're all current on Hep A.

Damn - I just learned something from you guys. I thought that since I had shingles already, I would be more or less immune. Turns out I'm not. I very much do not wish to re-experience those three weeks from hell. Guess I need to have a chat with my GP.
Prior experiences with some diseases offers some immunity, but with this one - nope. Chicken pox was a minor annoyance as a kid, but now that we live so long, it can come back to bite us big time. And in my young cousin's current case, it doesn't always wait. I don't know if she had the chicken pox vaccine, or if it failed, and I'm not going to ask.

I don't know how the waiting lists work in Canada. Good luck.

It sure didn't wait for me - I was in my late twenties when I got it. Twice though? No thanks. Sadly, they want you to be at least 65 years old in Ontario before it will be covered under our government health plan. I'll have to check out what my private coverage does.

EDIT: For anyone not covered in Ontario it's $158 ($120 USD) per injection (2 needed). My private insurance will cover it once I turn 50 (which, sadly, is not far off).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom