Valve relocation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DS1

Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have the exhaust valve on my Bare ATR-HD on the upper arm wich and i would like to bring it lower around the cuff... Is it possible to relocate it there and block the other hole ?? can a local shop do that ??

THANKS

DS1:
I currently have the exhaust valve on my Bare ATR-HD on the upper arm wich and i would like to bring it lower around the cuff... Is it possible to relocate it there and block the other hole ?? can a local shop do that ??

THANKS

It is possible to remove the valve and cover the hole but the valve on the upper arm is a different type than you typically see on the forearm. Chances are you'll end up buying a new valve too.

You might consider just adding a 2nd vent to the lower arm and leaving the other valve in place and just turning it shut....

BTW forearm valves can be a bit of a pain if you use your arms a lot..... I can't deduce the problem you have from your message but I wonder if the solution you're looking at is really what you need.... Why are you interested in doing this?

R..

Diver0001:
Why are you interested in doing this?

R..

cause im having trouble dumping and when your trying to do some stops and gas switches and other task its a pain to always get vertical to dump.. And if the valve is on the cuff you can stay more vertical

DS1:
cause im having trouble dumping and when your trying to do some stops and gas switches and other task its a pain to always get vertical to dump.. And if the valve is on the cuff you can stay more vertical

You might want to post this in a tek forum to see what other divers in your situation are doing. I don't personally like forearm dumps because every time you move your arm to the highest point (and you probably do it more often than you think) then you lose a bit of gas. For example, manupulating the inflator is enough for most of them to start venting.

OK, but given that you're having trouble dumping then I can imagine that you want to do *something* about it..... First a couple more questions: How long have you had this suit? What are you wearing for an undergarment? Do you have trouble dumping on every dive or only when you're carrying specific items? Does your suit have a "flap" on the inside of the zipper?

Something else that might help is to remove the stock dump-valve and replace it with another brand. They're not all created equally and some of the them dump faster/easier than others. I don't know who makes the Bare stock valves but they're slow dumpers and stiff to get them started. Just a thought. Maybe someone in the tek forum can tell you what's good. I've heard that a lot of divers are using Apeks or DUI dump-valves. Maybe this is why.

R..

That could be the problem... The valve could just be made to dump slow

If you move it to a cuff you'll need to raise the arm to dump - it wont be auto. You're also better off buying a cuff dump - these are custom designed for it, much smaller and 1/5th the price of a shoulder valve.

I had one dive with a shoulder non-dump valve and decided no way do i trust or like it so fitted a cuff dump the following day. Back to what i know and use. Fitting it took less than 5 minutes.

I know at least 4 other people who have replaced auto dumps for a cuff dump and find them far better and easier. Not setting or adjustments needed, just raise arm to dump.

I will be switching with the diving concepts cuff dump... it looks small and compact

Cuff dumps are a lot smaller (and cheaper) than autodumps.

(and imho better :) )

DS1:

THANKS
I moved the upper arm dump valve to my wrist and find it much easier to dump air that way (just a personal preference). The same valve works fine. I don't see the point in getting a special "cuff dump" valve. I patched the hole with a piece of neoprene and aquaseal. You can also get screw-in "plugs" to seal the hole.

The advantage of special cuff dump valves is (i) no adjustment or anything needed to them - dont need to worry about open/close and (ii) they are much smaller than automatic dumps so dont catch/take up as much space as the corresponding moved auto dump would.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom