Valve size help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I bought a couple 3500 psi steel tanks used one 80 and 0ne 100. They have din valves I need yoke. the one is a 1" valve and I was able to put an adapter in the 80 has a smaller neck I do not know the size nor does my dive shop. It is about a 10 year old tank. I can not use an adapter in it so I want to buy a new valve. Anyone have any idea what size it is or how to tell?

From what I know there's no off-the-shelf solution to the problem with that other tank. Some HP tanks were made with smaller threads than the standard scuba bottle neck, and only DIN 300 valves are available, which don't accept those insert adapters.

The older style steel hp tanks uses 7/8 UNF threading and I believe the newer steels have gone back to the 3/4 NPS. The older 7/8 UNF only use the 300 bar DIN.
Can you get a Din adapter for your first stage?

ok maybe then I can get a din valve that will accept the adapter, the din that is on there is at a 45 deg angel and to deep for thte adapter. It appears the neck is smallre than the standard. if it is 7/8 UNF threading and the new one is 3/4 I am confused the one I can't find the valve for is a smaller hole.

The numbers are misleading - two different measurement standards are involved. The 7/8 is indeed smaller than the 3/4. So far as I know there aren't any commercially available DIN 200 valves (that take the yoke adapter) for 7/8, only the deeper DIN 300. There are screw-in pillars that are used with DIN valves so that they can be filled from a yoke whip, but they are not recommended for use while diving. Why, I don't know.

So basically this tank is useless to me if I have a yoke set up to dive since I can't get a yoke valve or a converter?

So basically this tank is useless to me if I have a yoke set up to dive since I can't get a yoke valve or a converter?

Yes, the cheapest would be to convert your reg to DIN, but then all your other tanks will need a DIN valve or Pro valve, so might be a cheap option if your tanks are standard k-valves.

If I could find a 7/8 valve with a screw in adapter that would work. I found a couple of valves but I am not sure the screw in adapter would work and they are about $70. I was hoping to find a cheaper solution.

xs scuba makes a nice one Mfg Part Number :VX378-43A-VI
But again not sure if the screw in adapter would work.

I actually need this to fill an air gun and a paintball gun my fill adapter is yoke. I may jump inthe water with it though.

That appears to simply be what I know as a DIN 300 valve. The threads are too deep for the screw-in 'yoke face' adapter, which is why it says in bold red that a DIN reg is required. The yoke itself on your reg also would not fit over that DIN post, it's just too deep.

Here is the fill adapter, which should be fine for your paintball use. I don't know why it's not recommended for diving as well, but it's always warned against in the marketing.

ScubaMax DIN Filler Adapter

Here's a long discussion of tank valves and standards.
SCUBA Valves: Regulator Fittings, 200 vs 300 Bar FAQ and Cylinder Neck Threads - Dive Gear Express

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom