Vancouver, BC - Roll Call

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not been to Strathcona. I have dove Deep Cove many times. Vis can be poor and current is another factor depending on tide. Hope it is good for your dive this weekend.

creamofwheat:
I work weekends, unfortunately, so no diving for me this weekend. But I am an active Vancouver diver. 98 dives....sooooo close to 100!

Well, perhaps you should have a big dive party for your 100th! Make it a weekend and I'll be there. That's got to be worth a day off work.

- ChillyWaters

Tatsubon:
Hi everyone,

Have plans to check out a spot in Deep Cove, North Van. called Strathcona this weekend. This looks like a nice easy shore dive. Here is a link showing some pictures of the site. Scroll down to #5 and check it out.
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Canada/Vancouver/index.htm
That grass area there looks very inviting for a picnic if the sun comes out to play.
Weather report says the best chance for good weather is on Sunday. But if Saturdays weather works out we can also make it happen on that day.

Lets see how many are interested about heading out this weekend.
Post whichever day works well for you.
Further details for meeting up will be arranged once we know whos comming.

Tatsubon

Having dove it here are some pointers,

-Swim on surface to the island that is there then drop in and scuba around. Watch for boats as it is a marina for the locals.
-There is a wall on the east end of the island
-Note your tides. High and low. When the tides change you will get strong currents on the east end of the island where the wall is. My buddy and I drifted around the end of the island and came in on the other side, just do a circle around the island. Enjoy the drift.
-At slack tide it was no problem, no current. I would just plan to do a circle around the island and which way you go depends on the tides.
-You will find most of the sea life under the rocks there so be currious and look under everything
-Other than this it was a straight forward dive.

Enjoy

Hi everyone,

This weekend dose not look like a go at all.
shakehead.gif
Lets try again when the weather is a little better.

Thanks for the great tips TWR.
Really look forward to checking it out.

Ciao!

Tatsubon

We should make Scubaboard Dive chapters in different parts of n. america and international chapters. Huh, huh, huh.....Whatcha think guys :eyebrow:. And have either monthly dives or quarterly dives. And maybe schedule getaway trips locally.
tongue.gif
And wouldn't that be great.

Tatsubon:
Hi everyone,

This weekend dose not look like a go at all.
shakehead.gif
Lets try again when the weather is a little better.

Ciao!

Tatsubon

Not a true Vancouverite are you?:shakehead Dissapointing.:shakehead On Sat the weather is suppost to be a little wet in the morning then turn to sun and cloads in the afternoon.

Don't worry, I don't like rainy days either.

So, how did the dive go?

Weekend update.
04.gif

Can you believe that my internet was down since Friday night.
shakehead.gif
Sad to say but, I had missed a great chance to tell everyone about a last minute sale on a charter boat dive($60). I did not even think about going out at all, but was enticed by my LDS when I went in to pick up my tank. Any of you get a chance to dive abord the Sea Dragon?
www.blueadventure.ca

On Sunday, we checked out a location that had a pinnacle called the "Wedding Cake" and at the other side of the island we did a drift dive at a wall called "Crazy Crabs". First location was like diving in soup, it did not clear up till well below 65' and viz. was still dark and poor down there (next time I am bringing my torch). All this was made up at the second dive. It was totaly awesome! Cleared up below 25' and viz. was well over 60' to 80'. Freaked out when I saw that deep abyss below (300'+). I really was sucking air fast (2300psi in 29 mins). Scary but Unbelievably beautyful! We even had 3 seals join us at this location. One of the divers even had a chance to pet one when he put out his hand. (looked like a young pup) How I wished I had a camera that day.

Owed an apology to Skookemchuck for not trying harder to get in touch. There was only 6 of us on board, and lots of space abord for another 6 diver. PM me your phn # and I will try to notify you if any last minute chances come up. Same to everyone else.

Hope those of you that did go diving that weekend had just a good time.
Like to hear of your weekend updates too.

Ciao!

Tatsubon

Minipinny:
...have either monthly dives or quarterly dives. And maybe schedule getaway trips locally.
tongue.gif
And wouldn't that be great.
Great Idea!
03.gif

Now all we have to do is set down some dates and times, like on a 1st, 2nd, or 4th Saturday or Sunday of the month. ( 3rd are taken up for paintball)
eyebrow.gif

Maybe a Meet and Greet at a coffee shop to make acquaintance and dive plans.
coffee.gif

No apologies needed Tatsubon, I hooked up with a group from The Edge and did a nice wall dive at Copper Cove. Poor viz and more current than expected almost ruined it but the viz improved and the current died down at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom