Vancouver - Vancouver Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My-way

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all,

I am intending to be in Canada from April 2003 to appprox September 2003. I want to dive much of Vancouver Island and surrounds diring that period.

Do any of you own your own business or manage a business.

I am able to work in Canada as I have a working holiday visa that goes for 12 months.

I am a qualified electrician here in Australia, and am happy o do labouring, trades assistant work etc.

Any pointers on obtaining casual employment during late spring and summer months in the Vancouver area.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Please feel free to send me of post e-mail.

Cheers,

My-way.

no work for ya... BUT:

I dive Vancouver area a fair bit - PM me if you want to get connected or hook up for some dives.

If you're a freediver/spearo and want to try the deepdark spooky stuff, let me know.

Willer

Cheers,

I will contact you when I am there. It'll be good to find some buddies.

Regards,

Andrew

Hey Andrew,

I'ld be happy to show you sites around the Victoria area (south island) and send you in the right direction up-island.

As far as work goes, usually, if you're good then then there isn't too much dificulty finding it.

Cheers,
James

We will be out around Vancouver Island for 3 weeks in Sept.(14-oct2) we go out every year as we put on 2 weekend trips to
Quadra Island. We first go to Powell river for a few days, head over to Quadra, then we are going to Nootka sound for a few days. back to Quadra on the weekend. then to finish things off we go down to Nanaimo and Victoria. There are alot of good shore dives to be had. Let me know if you ned any more info , or if you want to join one of our weekend trips. Your more then welcome to come hang out with us if you want to.

You'll love Vancouver Island during the summer its beautiful.Although I'm sure you'll find our summers much cooler than the one's in Oz.I spent several months in Australia in 2000 on a working holiday visa so I know!Including six weeks in Darwin during the buildup.I can promise you won't find weather even remotely like that here.:eek: But I'm sure you'll enjoy the diving.There's fantastic shore dives aswell as boat dives all over the Island.If you need any advice or tips,feel free to contact me,i'd be happy help anyway I can.

P.S.You shouldn't have any trouble finding work as an Electrician on the Island.Especially in Victoria.I have a family member who just got a job for a large electrical company here,I'll find out the name and pass it on to you.It will atleast give you somewhere to try when you get here.

I work as an electrician in Canada.

1) Its rare to get asked for your licience. In 18 years I have been only been asked when holding a permit or when taking some courses. Working for a contractor he will hold the permit.
2) Most of van. island has little to no construction happening. Maybe Victoria, but for less $ than in Vancouver. Work has been down on the island so long that in some areas it is hard to get a tradesman so it is possible.

Back
Top Bottom