Vancouver viz condition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChillyWaters

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I've moved over to North Van now (from Victoria), and am gettng ready to finally go diving this weekend. I haven't dove cold water since August, so I'm getting rather excited.

Now, does anybody dive over hear? Not much activity from Vancouverites on Scubaboard. Perhaps they're too busy diving instead of posting.

Anyways, just wondering what the vis was like.

- ChillyWaters

I'm in NVan! but been too busy lately to post or dive. I can try for this weekend. If you are looking for a shop, stop by Edge Diving(beside Capilano Mall) on Marine Drive. I've heard that the vis is awesome lately.
Les

I went diving last week...viz was great!!!

Great means you can see your hands:D

10M would be getting close to great 20M is what I consider great vis around here 30M would be awesome. 1 - 2 M is poor vis and common at times in the summer.

Lots of drysuits to rent, fit and condition will vary - and how close to "average" you are.

Haven't been local diving since late last year, probably won't get wet until March now - in the middle of a project that is taking all my time and in Mexico for a couple of weeks - but will give me lots of great diving opportunities once it is complete. Looks like a boat is in my future!

Yea, great is if you can see your fins...hehe. Nah, It was probably about 50ft last lask week down at 80ft.

Sometimes it can get pretty bad in the summer...I did one dive where I could see less than a foot until I hit about 70ft, then it opened up to about 5ft.

But winter viz is pretty good...usually anywhere between 30 and 60ft.

It depends where you go. Over here in the Strait of Juan de Fuca, I've found winter vis to be consistently terrible (10 feet). It starts to clear up nicely in March. There's a bit of a dip in May-June and then July-October it is usually at it's best (around 50 feet). My opinion is based on years of diving here (I even have the visibility logged). In some places (Usually Fjords or the Strait of Georgia), I've heard that it is better in winter. Saanich Inlet can have great vis in winter, but it's darker. Vis can be great there in Summer too.

creamofwheat:
I went diving last week...viz was great!!!

Hey Creamy one... would you be up for a "club" dive sometime? I just wrote Les and mentioned the concept. I figure every 2-3 months would be fun.

The board doesn't look too active here, but hopefully the diving scene is.

- ChillyWaters

Back
Top Bottom