Vegetarian Recipes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caetllonn- I generally eat my vegetables after they are processed by an herbivore like cattle. I went vegetarian for 6-7 months some time ago. Although my cooking is bad enough anyway, it was almost not worth eating when I cooked vegetarian dishes. However, if a real cook is involved, I've tasted some might good vegetarian dishes and do like to eat a few vegetarian dinners for variety.

When I lived in Papua New Guinea, one of the people from an adjoining township had a recipe for vegetarians that called for extra hot peppers in the basting sauce to offset the blandness of the meat.
If the vegetarians were clowns though, no matter what they did, the meat always tasted funny.

These recipes all seem really nice, but they are missing something. I think its salt, umm no thats not it, maybe its pepper, no thats not it either, oh yeah, how bout some meat!!!! If you don't use those canines they will fall out.

Tom Winters:
When I lived in Papua New Guinea, one of the people from an adjoining township had a recipe for vegetarians that called for extra hot peppers in the basting sauce to offset the blandness of the meat.
If the vegetarians were clowns though, no matter what they did, the meat always tasted funny.
:lol:
Can I get that vegitarian with a side of shruken head. :D

I don't want to sound as if I'm being critical of vegetarians. I think there are some very valid reasons for pursuing a largely vegetarian diet, or at least reducing the amount of meat most of us in America consume. That reason is that by living lower on the food chain, we ensure less environmental degradation through the raising of herbivores AND help ensure that more food will be available for the large number of humans that already exist on this planet.

JustinW:
These recipes all seem really nice, but they are missing something. I think its salt, umm no thats not it, maybe its pepper, no thats not it either, oh yeah, how bout some meat!!!! If you don't use those canines they will fall out.

Don't be a jerk.

annasea:
Eggplant Steaks

1 large eggplant, 1/2" slices, unpeeled
1/2 t basil
1/2 t oregano
minced garlic or garlic powder
sliced tomatoes
feta cheese
salt & pepper to taste

Sprinkle both sides of the eggplant with the spices. Top with tomato slices and crumbled feta cheese. Bake, covered for approximately 30 minutes.

I made this dish with a few changes...used Italian seasoning, habanero pepper sauce and added portabello mushrooms. Sauteed shrimp and parsley red potatoes were on the menu as well. Delish! Thanks for the recipe!

Hopefully you will try a few of these recipes on me when you're out visiting, Caetllonn. As I mentioned, I do have a few filet mignons in the freezer just in case!

Taco Bell Employee via intercom:
What can I get for you today?
Me:
I'll have your vegetarian soft taco meal please.
Taco Bell Employee:
Did you want chicken in that?
Me:
No. I want the vegetarian soft taco meal.
Taco Bell Employee:
Right. Did you want it with chicken?
Me:
...... *rubs face with hands*

Easy Veggie Chili

2 cans red kidney beans (rinsed & drained)
3 cans black beans (rinsed & drained)
1 large can chopped tomatoes (keep the liquid)
1 can corn niblets (rinsed & drained) or 1-1/2 cups frozen niblets
2 large green bell peppers, chopped
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1-1/2 cups textured vegetable protein (TVP) granules
Small amount of vegetable oil
Cilantro (coriander) leaf, chopped

1. Brown the onions & garlic in the bottom of a large pot.
2. Add the red and green peppers and stir till soft.
3. Add the beans & tomatoes.
4. Add the corn & TVP. The chili should be very soupy so the TVP can absorb the liquid. Add water or tomato juice if the chili seems too dry.
5. Add your favourite chili seasonings. (chipotle hot sauce, chili powder, cumin, ketchup, HP sauce, Worcestershire sauce, whatever).
6. Cook until most of the liquid is absorbed and the beans are soft.
7. Top with cilantro leaves and serve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom