Venice Again Sat 11-22 8:30am

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colin,

Unless I'm mistaken, Gasparilla Island is in Lee County, not Collier. Unless you have a boat, you have to go through Charlotte County to get there.

Anyway, I'm confused about where you were trying to spearfish from the beach - Charlotte, Lee or Collier County? If it is, indeed, Collier County; you'll need to be well rested before you start, because I believe Collier County requires you to be at least nine miles off shore before you can spearfish.

Anne,

When will you be diving there?

Directions
Head to Venice on I 75. Take exit 193 and head SW on Jacaranda. Turn right on Venice Ave. Stay on Venice Ave until after you’ve crossed the bridge to the downtown area. Turn left at the second light after the bridge (Harbor). Turn right at the 5th street (Alhambra). Park on the street as close to the dead end as possible. Be careful not to block the driveway to the condo.

Easy parking easy access to the beach.
Bathrooms
Shower to rinse off.
Besides it's were I found my big tooth.
200 meters of shore.
You can back up to the beach area and unload and then park in the lot for free.
Fred

Sometimes I think I am dyslexic with counties. Charlotte is what I meant. Irregardless, the beach access was non existant except the one place that a park was put in for the poor people to go. ::..pondering the well rested bit..::: 9 miles is a bit excessive for a swim, I'll pass on doing anything around Collier way.. in my experience the boaters there are as clueless as the Lee County ones and I'd be chum before we hit a mile. Although, I do have to admit, the boaters around Gasparilla did heed the 300' rule very well, actually giving even more distance than that.

Side note - I have been trying to find all the regulations regarding the state and various types of fishing/diving rules. Even calling FWC directly in Tallahassee I was referred back to the local office who promptly wanted nothing to do with interpreting the laws and referred me directly to the officer for each district. The place in question was is right at the Sarasota/Charlotte county border area and called Boulder Point. I guess its Pointless now anyway, apprently yet another CONDO is being built, ironically called Bounder Point Condominiums.

I noticed that Lee county sign as we were driving down Gasparilla and remarked "what a long drive it would be for the person arrested on drunk and disorderly or a DUI here."

Walter once bubbled...
Colin,

Unless I'm mistaken, Gasparilla Island is in Lee County, not Collier. Unless you have a boat, you have to go through Charlotte County to get there.

Anyway, I'm confused about where you were trying to spearfish from the beach - Charlotte, Lee or Collier County? If it is, indeed, Collier County; you'll need to be well rested before you start, because I believe Collier County requires you to be at least nine miles off shore before you can spearfish.

Well it was good to meet folks on the few days of diving at Venice Beach.. The army has decided there are too many fun things to do in Tampa so I'm heading back to the sandbox.

Dive well and be safe.

Alex J

Walter once bubbled...
Anne,

When will you be diving there?

QUOTE]

Well I would love to dive tomorrow, but don't have anyone to go with, if anyone is avaiable for a dive tomorrow, I am game!
Wed. I will be meeting up with the rest of my gang and was hoping to get them in for a fossil dive before we head up to High Springs for a dip in the caves...on our way home .
Anne:)

My wife and I are going to dive Venice tomorrow. We will first see if we can get in by the airport. If we can't, we will go to the alhambra site. You are more than welcome to join us and dive under orur flag. If you see a tall guy and a short woman in a Nissan Quest, that is us. Just walk up and introduce yourself. We will probably be a alhambra between 0830 and 0900. Hope to see you there, Chris.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom