Venice Beach -today 5/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SmokeAire

Contributor
Reaction score
My dive buddy and I are palnning to be at Venice Beach around noonish today.
Any word on the conditions? Anyone else want to meet us there?
Checked out my profile (under the biography heading) for my cell # if you have any word on the conditions. This will be my first VB dive since Nov.

And no Andy I didn't ditch you this weekend, didn't you get my PM from yesterday? Sunday be cool.
Chuck

CBulla:
RED TIDE!

The highest levels are in the Sarasota county area.. dive if you want to, I've changed my plans for going up there this weekend.

Hmmpphhh...

And here I thought that the Red Tide was in Abalama.

Colin and I are having that argument right now on im :)

Red Tide? Yikes! Memories of a particular August dive with SB at Venice comes to mind. Glad I decided to stay on this side of the state this weekend.

Going to Mote marine:

http://www.mote.org/~mhenry/rtupdate.phtml

Southwest Florida Gulf of Mexico
The effects of a coastal red tide are once again being felt along the Florida Gulf coast in Manatee and Sarasota Counties. Elevated levels of red tide remained in Palma Sola Bay through April and May. A resurgence of red tide effects has been observed along the coast from Anna Maria, south to Englewood, with sporadic reports of respiratory irritation and dead fish. Concentrations of the red tide organism increased this week to high levels in New Pass and to moderate levels in other areas of the Bay. Scientists from Mote and The Florida Wildlife Research Institute are continuing to monitor the situation and have implemented research into factors affecting dynamics of the bloom, adverse effects from the toxins and ways to mitigate these effects. The weather forecast for the weekend calls for more westerly winds that could intensify adverse effects of the bloom on shore. It is important to note that as atmospheric and oceanic conditions change, algal bloom conditions change as well, making forecasting very difficult.

I don't know about yawl, but it was even noticable in my reg last time I tried a dive in a "mild" red tide condition dive..

I was planning to go tomorrow morning early but I guess I'll pass as well. I sure don't enjoy red tide diving. Any find any shark's teeth further north of Venice?

So much for Venice Beach Sunday....

Tragic.

Given currents, etc., things should clear up in a few days if the on shore winds settle down.

Reefguy is going up there tomorrow to check things out, if there's no signs present we'll be diving up there Monday.

There is no red tide in Venice

dove this morning 8-10' vis, water 80

found my second mammoth tooth in as many weeks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom