Venice Florida Shark tooth dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
My apologies if this is covered somewhere else.

Looking for info on the Venice shark tooth diving. I "hear" you can't miss, just swipe your hand back and forth a few times in the sand and wha-la, shark teeth.

Does anybody know why there would be so many shark teeth in one area, and are there really that many teeth in that area.

I'm planning to drive my boat down there from Tampa for a few days in March or April and I'm looking to thouroghly check this out before I go. Any info on the site, the history of the area, or GPS #'s to good spots would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=60333

This is an excellent synopsis by cbulla. You don't need a boat to hunt for teeth, but there is a spot called the boneyard that does pretty much require a boat. I don't have coordinates for it, but it's not hard to find.

Reefguy,
Thanks for that link. I sent you a PM. Seems like there is a ton of postings, That first one has allot of info, looks like I have allot of reading to do.

Hey - when it warms up and the water doesn't make my shoulder hurt from the cold (its been rebuilt 4 times) I'd be happy to give a guided tour and teach ya what to look for :)

Typically if you go anywhere offshore and Chum the waters...you'll find all the Sharks teeth you ever wanted and more....

:D

Does anyone know the typical conditions at Venice during late Feb/early March? Anyone have any more tips about Venice?

digitaligloo:
Does anyone know the typical conditions at Venice during late Feb/early March? Anyone have any more tips about Venice?
My wife and I will be there from Feb 24 to March 3. I have booked us for 2 days of charters with Florida West Scuba School. Try their website.
http://www.floridawestscuba.com/

digitaligloo:

It can be wonderful or horrible. There's no way to tell very far in advance.

The best tip is to hook up with an experienced fossil diver if possible and learn techniques from someone who knows what they are doing. You'll need a fine mesh collection bag (a sock will work in a pinch) for your treasures.

CBulla:
Hey - when it warms up and the water doesn't make my shoulder hurt from the cold (its been rebuilt 4 times) I'd be happy to give a guided tour and teach ya what to look for :)

Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that.:D I'm planning to make a March or April trip down with my boat.

Back
Top Bottom