Venice Shark Tooth Dive, 09/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for the great dive yesterday... It was good to meet everyone, some for the first time & others again... No teeth for me either, but I got wet :D all that really matters to me...

Thanks again...

I hadn't originally planned in coming, so hadn't followed this thread, but nice to bump into and chat with some of you between/after dives. It was a hot hot day, so didn't stick around too long after my dives.

No megs for me - just some small teeth, puffer mouths, stingray teeth and barbs (although dont pick too many of those up) - this time found a few small vertebrae as well. I went exploring a bit for my 2nd dive...all I found was very silty bottom and viz getting down to less than a foot so after half an hour, I un-explored back to the same area as my first dive.

i really need to get out on a boat to the Boneyard .... getting meg-withdrawal symptoms.

It sounds like you guys dive venice beach regularly. I am going to be in the area with my girlfriend next weekend and we are looking for a nice quick beach dive. How have the conditions (vis, etc) been off the beach lately??? Thought I had heard that they weren't that great, but it sounds as if you guys are saying its ok?

Here are the goodies for the day after cleaning with Vinegar. The shells are for the bottom of a future saltwater aquarium. Maybe there is some recoverable Megladon DNA in the root of the "half" near the lower left corner of the bill - anybody up for a science experiment? :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_9186.JPG
    IMG_9186.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9183.JPG
    IMG_9183.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9187.JPG
    IMG_9187.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_9179.JPG
    IMG_9179.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 64
Since these are fossilized (mineral) it's unlikely there is any DNA(organic material). As part of the fossilization process organic material is replaced by minerals such as iron and manganese. Minerals do not have DNA. Sorry dude!

Since these are fossilized (mineral) it's unlikely there is any DNA(organic material). As part of the fossilization process organic material is replaced by minerals such as iron and manganese. Minerals do not have DNA. Sorry dude!

Sure - ruin my hopes for a baby Megalodon in the new aquarium... :wink: Note: Did you catch the photos in the Venice kayak thread from our dive with dkramer?

Yes I did see them, very nice....... I specially liked the diver pic. Good looking fellow! Thanks for posting those.

It sounds like you guys dive venice beach regularly. I am going to be in the area with my girlfriend next weekend and we are looking for a nice quick beach dive. How have the conditions (vis, etc) been off the beach lately??? Thought I had heard that they weren't that great, but it sounds as if you guys are saying its ok?

It's been a few days since I've been in the water, so I'll point you to the "Venice conditions" thread in the main Florida Conch Divers section. It is updated almost daily:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...ice-conditions-please-no-off-topic-posts.html

Sure - ruin my hopes for a baby Megalodon in the new aquarium... :wink:

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I just wanted to chime in my thanks for putting together Saturday's dive - my first time tooth hunting and quite productive as far as I was concerned! A few hours of diving, followed by a drink and lunch on the patio in the 80 degree (plus or minus!) weather: what could be better? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom