Veo 100 vs. Atmos 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone verify, based on actual usage, if either the Oceanic Veo 100 or the Aeris Atmos 1 has the 3 minute safety stop coundown feature? I've read their manuals, but on this feature I think the manuals are wrong. Thanks.

Yes, I have an Oceanic Veo 100 and have used it; it definitely has the 15 ft. / 3 min. countdown -- or at 5 meters, if you set it to metric. There's a corresponding icon that comes on too, to reinforce that it's in the safety stop mode.

We also have the Aeris Atmos 1 in the family, but it hasn't been dived yet. But I'm certain it has the feature too, from reading the manual. The display is different, and so are some of the nice-to-have features (no date or temp); but the guts are supposed to be identical.

Of course, it's impossible to simulate the safety stop feature unless you're diving.

Why do you ask? That is, why do you think the manuals are wrong?

--Marek

Marek - the manual for the Atomos 1 that I read does not mention the safety stop feature. I think the manuals may be wrong simply because someone I trust told me so.

Come on folks - someone here must have dived with an Atmos 1. Safety stop feature or no?

Yep it does. You might want to wait a few weeks and check around for the NEW Aeris XR-1. It is to be pretty much the same features as the Atmos-1, I think the log is now 12 dives, but is to be lower profile. Download the 2005 catalog from the Aeris web site and it is in their.
Oceanic and Aeris are the same guts and you probably find out that the Veo is really close to the new XR-1.

BTW, Scubatoys was to get a shipment of XR-1's in real soon. Maybe this week??

SteveFass:
Marek - the manual for the Atomos 1 that I read does not mention the safety stop feature. I think the manuals may be wrong simply because someone I trust told me so.

Come on folks - someone here must have dived with an Atmos 1. Safety stop feature or no?
You had me panicked at first. I'm home now, and have been seaching through the Atmos 1 Owner's Guide... Wow, like you said, no mention of safety stop function.

But then I searched through the little zip-locked packet of other information... warranty card, laminated review card, and... Operating Manual/Owner's Guide Supplement. Which describes, among other things, the safety stop function. Works on every no-deco dive deeper than 20 ft (6 m). Just like on the Oceanic.

Whew. Man, don't scare me like that!! :11:

--Marek

Safety stop- Yes. I don't think you'll find a computer on the market that doesn't offer this feature.

As mentioned, the Atmos 1 has been redesigned as the XR-1. If you haven't dove with it yet, yo might want to consider returning it for the new model. I'm not up on the features/price difference, but it does look nicer.

Consider spending the extra $ to get an Atmos 2. Atmos 1 does not display date/time of your dive in the "log" mode. Pain in the *** since the computer does have the date and time stored for the general operations, but the computer doesn't store that infomation on each dive. The log scrolls backwards from your last dive so you'll need to remember when that was. After 150+ dives on it, I'm ready for a new computer. Other than that, it works good.

hermosadive, the Atmos 1 does show you the time of day on the log as well as the rest of the time when the computer is on. If I am thinking right the display will read the log number and the time you began your dive on the first screen of the log. According to the 2005 catalog the XR-1 will do the same. It does not show the date which is never asked for.

I do agree that the log is a bit screwy the first time or two that you use it. Just have to remember that the dive you just did is the first one to see. This is a pain if you are putting the info in a log and want to figure your pressure group and all that good rot. Not a big deal but not the way I woud have done it.

I have the Atmos 1.

It does have the safety stop timer and the computer itself is VERRRRRRY easy to follow. I would recommend it to anyone that only dives air (not Nitrox). I love it personally. If you plan on diving Nitrox, the Atmos 2 would be a better fit and is basically the same computer.

Good Luck!

Aeris Atmos 1
Automatic Safety Stop Prompt
A visual alarm reminds you as you approach 15 feet. An automatic 3-minute timer counts down to zero. As in any other dive mode, you still have access to other pieces of information, and there is no penalty should you choose to disregard the safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom